It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:57 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Wild Kratts
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:03 pm 

I'm putting this here because it's educational, so can be considered school related. My kids watched this show on PBS almost everyday for awhile and they were obsessed with it. Either they stopped playing it or there are no new episodes, because they haven't watched it in awhile. But I am still constantly hearing about it. They are always educating me on animal facts/behaviors, etc. It got to the point where I stopped asking where they heard about it and just said "Let me guess, Wild Kratts?"

Like just recently at the aquarium when they got all excited about something they saw in one of the tanks and ds started talking about it, saying it's a shark egg, called a Mermaid Purse. I felt dumb because I didn't even know there were sharks that layed eggs. Then, dd started going on about sea polyps and what they do. Then, ds started going on about Remoras. These kids can't remember anything I tell them, but they can remember this stuff from many months ago, down to the names. Why don't they have shows like this for every subject? This could just be school. History, math, etc. Just make it an interesting video and they'll remember it forever. I guess if they did that and played them on PBS, then there would be no need for their indoctrination factories, though.

And on the subject of educational shows, Xavier has recently discovered a couple shows on Netflix that he's obsessed with: Super Why and Word World (He calls this one "Ba ba" because there is a sheep in it). Both of them are shows that teach letters/words. It has sparked an interest in letters for him. He will repeat the letter names he hears and he has just started to open his books and point to each letter in a word and make sounds like he's trying to say the letter names. We've been singing the alphabet a lot and he has started going around singing the alphabet, even though there's only about 3 letters to the alphabet according to his song, it's still to the tune of the alphabet. This is all good because he's just reaching preschool age and it will make things easier for me if he has as much interest and passion as he's been showing recently.

The only problem is that now he gets mad if he doesn't get his shows. He asks throughout the day for us to turn the TV on and even tries turning it on himself, but we keep it off until evening during the week. So he whines about that and then when we do turn it on, how dare we put on anything but his shows. I can't even watch the news without a huge tantrum. I hope this phase doesn't last too long. He didn't even care what was on the TV until recently.

Anyways, I guess the point of this post was supposed to be: if you have young kids, these are some great shows, especially Wild Kratts. I probably could have just saved my money and not got the zoology books we got (not that they aren't great books) and just relied solely on this show. My kids are highly visual, so they definitely learn better when something is visually stimulating. I just wish they had more shows like this for things other than just animals. They've watched other shows like Liberty's Kids and Magic School Bus, which helps with history and science, but I've never heard them talk about a show near as much as Wild Kratts.

Post subject: Re: Wild Kratts
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:55 am 

The Kratts brothers have been around for a while. My kids used to watch their show, I think it was called, "Zaboomafoo" or something like that.

See if you can find "Between the Lions" that is a great PBS show about reading. Also, "Salsa" is a good one for Spanish.
These are all from my kids school days but they may have the shows in reruns.

As for tv... I did a dumb thing! I brought out my Cd's of "Kidsongs" and now Izzy won't do anything else but watch that show or ask for that show or bug me to play it or go try to put the Cd's in herself and push buttons.
ugh... she used to never care to watch tv at all and now this!!
I've created a monster.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:48 pm 

Tory wrote:
The Kratts brothers have been around for a while. My kids used to watch their show, I think it was called, "Zaboomafoo" or something like that.

See if you can find "Between the Lions" that is a great PBS show about reading. Also, "Salsa" is a good one for Spanish.
These are all from my kids school days but they may have the shows in reruns.

As for tv... I did a dumb thing! I brought out my Cd's of "Kidsongs" and now Izzy won't do anything else but watch that show or ask for that show or bug me to play it or go try to put the Cd's in herself and push buttons.
ugh... she used to never care to watch tv at all and now this!!
I've created a monster.

I've heard of Zaboomafoo, but we've never watched it. I guess Wild Kratts is based on the show they used to have, but it's an animated version. At the end, there is a short clip with the actual Kratts brothers talking about animals. I will have to see if I can find their old show anywhere and if the kids would be interested in that.

I guess we've both created TV monsters, lol. I would still rather we not even have a TV, but it was a gift from my mom and I couldn't say no. So I try my best to manage it. We are a family of addictive personalities, especially when it comes to technology, so I try to keep the kids from getting out of control with it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:18 pm 

Oh I had forgotten that the Wild Kratts was animated!
It's been a while since we've been able to get PBS on our tv so I've only seen it a few times.

Izzy also likes Martha Speaks when we can get it, but that's not often.
She is not usually a tv watcher but kidsongs have clicked with her. She does like Veggie tales but only the one dvd that she wants to watch over and over again! My sister brought over her "tablet" one day and I asked her not to bring it back. All Izzy did was whine and kick wanting it!!! oh my. Way too young for a tablet and way too much fussing to have it all day hour after hour.

I've searched my bookshelves and found some age appropriate ones for her that I "hope" I can get her intersted in.

I think tv has it's place but you're right that it has to be limited.
I limited my dc from tv during the day. We did school or crafts, or field trips. Mostly outside play when it was nice, and got creative with inside things.

We'd rarely turn on the tv before 4 oclock back then.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:55 pm 

We don't have TV but we DO watch Wild Kratts & I do like it a lot (altho, they have to occasionally push evolution a tiny but - which is a tad annoying. . . .)

All in all, DD learns a lot from the show & loves watching it : )