It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:48 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Am I the only one who hates planners/schedules?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:47 pm 

The Sonlight planners are supposed to be every homeschool moms dream, but I hate them. Every day, having to open a binder and look at a busy page full of stuff, just to find what pages we need to read for history. I may just have to make my own schedule, since I use so many different curriculums, but that task seems daunting. And I have some weird thing where I can't be bothered to put books on the shelf and then take them down again and then put them back up again, each day. So, they just sit out on the table. I wish I could be more organized, but it's hard when the very things that help you to be organized, like schedules, don't help you. I'm the opposite of the model homeschooling mom, lol.

But speaking of schedules, I'm trying to help the kids to be more organized for this coming school year and since I'll be extra busy with the new baby. I want them to be able to do stuff more on their own, without me telling them. I want to develop a basic schedule for the whole day, that has everything broken down into time slots. I have tried this before for myself and it was useless because, like I said, I hate schedules, but maybe it will work this time? But I want something the kids can look at that is predictable. Like at this time, we do school and at this time we do chores, etc. Because our days just feel like chaos with no set routine. But I also want to do a chart that has all their chores listed on it and shows who does what on which day of the week. I have kind of implemented this already, except they never look at it and I still have to tell them what to do and when. Another chart I want is for the school subjects, so each of them knows that at school time they do this subject and then this subject, etc., at least for the things they can do on their own, and then I will help them with the things they can't do on their own. I just want it to be more automatic and that they know at a certain time they are supposed to be doing this and that, instead of me going, "Ok, it's time to do your math sheet" or whatever. My problem is, do I have this all combined into one chart? The overall schedule for the day, with a breakdown of which chores and which school subjects they need to do for each day? That seems like too much all together. But then if I have three separate charts, that seems like too many different places to look.

Whatever I end up doing, I am going to try to implement a token system to help them to remember to look at the chart and do what needs to be done automatically, without me having to tell them. If a child goes and does what they're supposed to be doing without me telling them, they will earn tokens that they can redeem for a reward. I think this will help out so much with me having to deal with the two little ones. I want to still be involved with the older kids, obviously, but the less time I have to spend on reminding them to do things, the more time I have for more quality interactions. It also takes up a lot of my brain energy having to remember everything for them and it's hard enough doing it now, but will be even harder when I am taking care of a baby and have mush for brains.

Post subject: Re: Am I the only one who hates planners/schedules?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:06 pm 

Well, this is my method - and it does all the things you're asking for
http://stuffedveggies.blogspot.com/2015 ... nning.html

DD usually creates her own schedule for the day (with oversight & approval from me) and then all I have to do is repeat (only perhaps a million times a day ; )
"Go look at your chart and decide what to do next"

I have an incentive program to do with it that I plan on writing a future post about : )

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:55 pm 

I used the charts from "How to Home school" by Gayle Graham.

She has several to choose from. You can fill them in as much or as little you want.
They work great for chores and/ or school work.

The book itself is worth reading even you choose to not use the charts.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:26 pm 

Thank you for these ideas! The organizer with index cards looks like something that could work for us. I'll also check the library for that book.