It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:15 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: New to homeschooling.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:01 pm 

Hi this will be my first year homeschooling my son is 5 and i decided to start him out with homeschooling and give it a try before i put him in a private school. Any tips, advice and even curriculum suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Im trying to just get a idea of what my options are. Ive seen the online homeschooling that goes through your school district, has anyone tried the online stuff and what do you think about it? Thanks in advance, Britnee :)

Post subject: Re: New to homeschooling.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:21 pm 

Britnee wrote:
Hi this will be my first year homeschooling my son is 5 and i decided to start him out with homeschooling and give it a try before i put him in a private school. Any tips, advice and even curriculum suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Im trying to just get a idea of what my options are. Ive seen the online homeschooling that goes through your school district, has anyone tried the online stuff and what do you think about it? Thanks in advance, Britnee :)

Welcome Britnee. Please check out one of our other pages....http://www.homeschoolchristian.com/reso ... /index.php

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:08 am 
Site Owner

Hey Britnee! Welcome! We have some great resources here. Check the Beginner's Page on the pull down menu up ^ there.

I used K12 with my daughter as a Kindergartner. It was the free program offered by our state at that time. It was OK, but it actually required a LOT of hours of work for such a little one. I really think you can do better on your own.

Amblesideonline has a completely free curriculum:
http://amblesideonline.org

Again, welcome! Please ask more questions! We'll be glad to help.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:42 am 

Options? OPTIONS! Options will drive you CRAZY! We have SO many options to choose from and learning what works "best" for you and your child usually takes a lot of trial and error. Most of us start out trying to "do school" at home.

You have been teaching your son for 5 years already! :) My advice would be to ease into it. Those K12 programs are quite intense and require a lot of time. The basics of what kids learn in different grade levels can be found by searching "scope and sequence" for that grade. Here's one for K.
http://www.hmhco.com/~/media/sites/home ... .pdf?la=en

Every publisher of curriculum should have one. They are guidelines you can use. Or check out a book like "What Your Kindergartener Needs to Know" from the library.

Just please do NOT spend a lot of money on curriculum at this time. He's still a kid and there's lots of time to learn to sit and do school. He should be active and explore things he enjoys. If you live in an interesting area be sure to plan "field trips" to learn about your area. Your address and phone number, parents "real" names, .... beginning life skills are just as important (if not more so) than academics. Have fun!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:35 pm 

If it were "me" and my five year old, I'd do simple basic things. Read aloud to him every day. Get magazines from your library for him. Things like Highlights, My Big Backyard, etc. are great. You can read them to him or he can look on his own.
Try to make reading as exciting and interesting as you can! You're building a life-long learner, not just a "get through Pre-school"-er.
We had an hour "reading time" every day after lunch and I'd either read aloud or they'd sit and look at books on their own.

Math, manipulatives!!!! Cars that he already owns can be sorted into groups by color, or size, or "what they do" like work trucks, passenger cars, buses, tow-trucks, etc.
Building blocks in all colors. Get wooden ones, they are worth the extra expense.

Play money (you can play "shopping" buy saving boxes and taping them up. He can "shop" for them at your "store".)
My kids loved to play "Drive-through" where they rode their tykes around to the drive up window and purchased items. (All pretend and didn't cost anything... great for imaginative play.)
Dice games for simple addition or subtraction.
Magnetic letters for the refrigerator.
Posters of the color wheel (probably can find one free at any home improvement store.)
Keep clean paper at the ready and allow him plenty of time to draw freely.

Puzzles are great. Coloring, drawing, spending time outdoors, playdough, simple science experiments, etc. You have so many free things you can do and your library has tons of free books!

If you must buy.. like I did.. lol! Go to a school supply store and browse. Get an idea of where you're headed before purchasing. There will be tons of items available.

This is a great age to home school.