It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:33 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Hi, Going to homeschool, Teenagers protesting.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:58 pm 

Hi,

I will begin homeschooling next school year. I have a 13 yr old boy and a 15 yr old girl. Both kids have always been in public school. My daughter has become very rebellious. Not so much toward me, but worse, toward God. She says she doesn't believe in God anymore and has fallen for the evolutionary teachings at school. She has threatened to never become a Christian if I pull her away from her friends and out of school. My son is against homeschooling but he is a Christian. I am so afraid of pushing her farther away but I believe doing homeschool is a better option for us as a family. Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Hi, Going to homeschool, Teenagers protesting.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:10 pm 

"Never" is a long time and teenagers are so emotional and dramatic!

However, this age they do need their friends or at least some friends.. perhaps not the same ones she has now. Give her 3 months and they may not even be friends anymore because teen girls are unpredictable.

As for homeschooling. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they regretted homeschooling. Perhaps you do the "trial' period with your daughter. Say.. give her a "we'll try this until Christmas break" (or whatever you think is reasonble) and then we'll re-evaluate the situation."
(I personally would not tell her "then if you don't like it you can go back to public school" because then she'll set herself up to NOT like it just to get to go back.)

Let this decision be the adults in the home's decision but with her input as long as she's respectful.
Then, get her busy with doing all the things she's missed because of school. Library, field trips to cool places, taking dual classes at a community college, time to sit and study what she's really interested in learning and not just what she's told to learn for Friday's test.
What does she like to do? What catches her interest and gets her excited?

Is it painting? Is it ballet? Is it Botany? Geography?
This is the time to give her time to explore these subjects further. Time to really READ good books not just assigned school books or text books.

I could go on and on but I'm sure others here will have better advice than I do!
:)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:52 am 
Site Owner

It's tough to start homeschooling an older teen when she is objecting. You'll need to find some mutual benefit that is not religion since that is the one she has chosen for her battle. Does she have the grades to go to the community college under dual enrollment? If so, let her look over the programs they have so she can find something that is interesting to her.

Your job at this point is getting her ready to live on her own. You only have 3 short years left! Is she interested in getting her own car? It's time to talk about what job she would like in the future and get her prepared to earn money to pay her insurance. Set goals for what you need her to get done so she can get a job as soon as she's old enough (16?)

Once she starts feeling like she has more control over her life and her future, she'll stop being so rebellious. Don't worry at all about her saying she's not a Christian. Don't even discuss it further! She will come back around eventually if you don't badger her. :0)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:48 pm 

Thank you for your replies! I appreciate the advice. I agree that my daughter is being overly dramatic. I have thought about finding some community college classes for her. I will look into it. I also believe we should try it for a year but I don't want to tell the kids that for the reason mentioned. This is a tough situation but I feel leaving them in public school may only cause more problems in the long run.