It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:50 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Apologia
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:06 pm 

Did they add the Chemistry and Physics book to the Young Explorer series? I don't remember seeing that before and we were set to have Christian finish them all before 7th grade. Now we're looking at his last book before he moves out of the elementary curriculum, but there are two books we haven't done! The Anatomy and Physiology and the Chemistry and Physics. I want him to do both and can't decide which one to get for next year. We may be able to do both in one year, but I don't know how it will go. I know Chemistry and Physics gets done in High School, too, so should I just do the Anatomy and Physiology one? I swear that other book wasn't there before and they've messed me all up!

Post subject: Re: Apologia
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:37 pm 

My ds took Chemistry in our co-op that was taught by another mom that was a chemistry major. (She has a degree in Chemistry.) She said that they need higher math (at least finished Algebra I) to take Chemistry. I'm not sure about the Apologia Young Explorer book. I've never seen it.. but my ds did use the regular Apologia Chemistry book in Co-op.
It was TOUGH! (I sat in on the class because ds was auditing it.)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:14 pm 

The Young Explorer books are meant to be for kids from Kindergarten to 6th grade, so I think it is just a pretty basic introduction and it not a high school level chemistry. But I finally just had Christian decide what he wanted to do, lol. I showed him both options and had him look at the samples and asked which one interested him the most and he said the Anatomy and Physiology one. He will get Chemistry and Physics in HS, so this seems fine to me, but I don't know if it's normal for kids these days to get some Chemistry and Physics in Middle school? I don't remember having it when I was in school, but I don't know what they do these days.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:01 pm 

Well, one of the benefits of home school is you don't have to do what the schools are doing. If he's interested in more than basic science, and can do the work without it frustrating him, then let him do it. (If it's what you are ok with.)

It can't hurt him that's for sure!