It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:17 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: College admission: Is it harder for a hs student?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:50 pm 

We recently moved to Tennessee from Virginia. The hs moms here in Tennessee are convinced that a non-certified homeschool diploma/transcript is NOT sufficient for college admission (I'm only referring to diplomas/transcripts, not the extras like ACT scores, etc). They believe colleges will require more work from families to prove the quality of their high school education. These families are dependent on the Umbrella School with which they register for a certified diploma/transcript that colleges will easily accept. I find that hard to believe.

Can you share your experience? Was a family printed diploma and transcript sufficient for college? Did you have extra hoops to jump through? I need to be set straight on this.

Thanks!
Amy

PS I realize colleges will vary across the country. It's the general idea that colleges make homeschoolers with non certified diplomas work harder than others to get accepted that I'm questioning.

Post subject: Re: College admission: Is it harder for a hs student?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:43 pm 

We had no problems. My youngest dd tho't a GED certificate would be better than her homeschool transcript so she went ahead and got that when she was done with homeschooling. When she submitted it they asked questions and found out she was a homeschool graduate. They asked for her homeschool, homemade, transcripts over the GED certificate. No problem.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:16 am 

amyp wrote:
We recently moved to Tennessee from Virginia. The hs moms here in Tennessee are convinced that a non-certified homeschool diploma/transcript is NOT sufficient for college admission (I'm only referring to diplomas/transcripts, not the extras like ACT scores, etc). They believe colleges will require more work from families to prove the quality of their high school education. These families are dependent on the Umbrella School with which they register for a certified diploma/transcript that colleges will easily accept. I find that hard to believe.

Can you share your experience? Was a family printed diploma and transcript sufficient for college? Did you have extra hoops to jump through? I need to be set straight on this.

Thanks!
Amy

PS I realize colleges will vary across the country. It's the general idea that colleges make homeschoolers with non certified diplomas work harder than others to get accepted that I'm questioning.

My dd was homeschooled up until her Junior year of high school. Then, she attended our local, community college. We were also under an umbrella school, too. Sorry I could not be more help in this regard. I do not know too many people in TN that have solely printed off their own transcripts and diploma. Most of the people that I know have an umbrella school or are attached to the local superintendent.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:36 am 

Public school students, too, HAVE to have more than just a transcript for college admissions. Even when I had a *college* transcript from a bachelor's degree - I STILL had to provide more documentation for competitive admissions.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:07 pm 
Site Owner

My older three children had no problems getting into the universities of their choice. The university didn't want a high school transcript at all since they were homeschooled. It just wanted ACT scores. All of them had most of or all of an Associate's degree done during high school via dual enrollment so that showed the track record that the university wanted. Once you have an additional degree, no one cares about your high school diploma.
Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:54 am 

Very true, Martha!

I found out about the Homeschool Colleges that I mentioned the other day from a College Administrator. She says that when homeschooled people come from one of those schools, the admissions people can see that they're ready for college work.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:48 pm 

I don't know about specific states other than my own. At the bottom of their transcripts, I wrote:

I certify that _______ was educated privately at home in full compliance with the laws of the State of Wisconsin and graduated in May of 2005.

And it was signed below that.

Neither of them had trouble getting into college or the military.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:49 pm 

Oh, and they had their ACT scores, too, and a list of various activities to list on college applications.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:15 pm 

I saw this nice article today by a homeschooler whose Son got a competitive grades-based scholarship from a University that stated they didn't accept homeschool transcripts.

http://anniekateshomeschoolreviews.com/ ... versities/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:24 pm 

My niece was homeschooled and is now entering her third year at West Point. She applied to:

West Point
The Naval Academy
Virginia Tech
The University of Virginia

and got in to all the schools!

We crafted her transcript and she had no problem.