It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:01 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: You CAN Homeschool College! : )
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:04 pm 

I have a friend who works in University Administration. Last weekend she told me about these two organizations that make homeschooling college possible (I have NOT read up on these websites - just providing the links for those who are interested)

CollegePlus

Verity College Education

I know homeschooling college may not be for everyone, but it's good to know that option is out there! : )

Post subject: Re: You CAN Homeschool College! : )
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:44 am 
Site Owner

Wow, Verity College is as inexpensive as our community college! That's impressive!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:39 am 

I remember the Robinson curriculum and Mr Robinson saying he was working on a college curriculum way-back-when. I don't see any reason why college would be any different - depending on your classes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:54 am 

Sis wrote:
I remember the Robinson curriculum and Mr Robinson saying he was working on a college curriculum way-back-when. I don't see any reason why college would be any different - depending on your classes.

Well, practically speaking, you can easily self-teach most college material (except brain surgery, etc) - but you really NEED something resume-ready to prove you learned material for most job placements or grad school admissions. I love that these services seem to be able to help with that : )

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:40 pm 

I kind of skimmed through it, but is there a difference between this and all the online colleges? Sorry if that's a dumb question.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:42 pm 

I have not read it thoroughly, but my best guess is that these organizations would work with what you've learned other places, and help document it, and find various courses to design a degree for you, rather than demanding that you take (and pay for) a bunch of courses from them for stuff you already know or could learn on your own.

And, as Martha pointed out, I'm guessing this is TONS cheaper : )

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:40 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
I have not read it thoroughly, but my best guess is that these organizations would work with what you've learned other places, and help document it, and find various courses to design a degree for you, rather than demanding that you take (and pay for) a bunch of courses from them for stuff you already know or could learn on your own.

And, as Martha pointed out, I'm guessing this is TONS cheaper : )

Ok, thanks. I am glad more and more options are becoming available. We still have awhile before Christian is even college age, but I do think about it because he has been adamant for years that he will not be going to college. I think because of his struggles with reading/writing and also, he doesn't seem to have the personality to spend years studying, studying, studying, especially if it's extra stuff that's not directly related to what he wants to do. It seems like doing something like this would suit him much better than traditional college. I'm also open to him learning a trade or something, too. And by the time he reaches college age, there will probably be even more options. I love it, and I love cheaper.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:30 pm 

Thanks for posting this. I have 3 that I'm still hoping will want to get some form of higher education.