It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:18 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Institute for Excellence in Writing
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:24 pm 

Has anyone used this program? The program we are using for reading and spelling (Barton) recommends using IEW once the students finish level 4. We are halfway through level 3 and I am budgeting for the next school year, so I'm looking into this program and just wondering if anyone here has used it and has anything to say about it. I've heard great things about it.

http://www.iew.com/

Post subject: Re: Institute for Excellence in Writing
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:25 pm 

I used a tiny bit of it. It was on VHS and our machine was eating the tapes so returned it before they were all ruined. :( The little I used was good. I think a co-op teaching situation would be even better, maybe.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:43 pm 

Thanks, Sis. I don't think our little co-op uses this program and it would actually be cheaper for me to buy the material myself, than to join the co-op. It is pricey, though. Maybe I can find it used somewhere. What I'm trying to figure out is how long each level lasts. It looks like there are three levels. One for elementary school, middle school, and high school. So, I am wondering if I buy the one for grades 3-5, is that three years worth of material or is it just a years worth of material and you're supposed to use it during just one of those grades? I don't understand how that works and their website isn't clear on that. I may just contact them and ask them.

I'm also wondering how much teacher involvement there is since I'm already doing a program where I have to be heavily involved and I'm trying to get older ds a little more independent. It looks like I just have to watch a video once a month and then I use what I learn from the video to teach them to write? That doesn't sound like too much.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:02 pm 

We use IEW in Classical Conversations. My son went through three years of IEW and it was a great experience. After that our older students use Lost Tools of Writing and I absolutely LOVE that program, but it's not really for the younger kids. You can't go wrong with IEW though it can be difficult to implement on your own if you're not faithfully in your teacher's manual and watching the dvds. Lots of people do it in a co-op setting which helps.

IEW just updated their materials so make sure you're getting the new releases. The updates are supposed to be well worth buying new.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:54 pm 
Site Owner

I did a review of it a while back.
http://www.homeschoolchristian.com/curr ... dstyle.php

It is really good, but I agree with Neesa. You have to be diligent. But, on the other hand, that is true of writing in general!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:39 pm 

Thank you. I think we will definitely go with this program, but I may put it off for a year or two. It may not be a good time with so much going on school and family wise. Or we can get it this year and try it out and if it's too taxing, we can put it off for awhile. I like that each level starts off with no experience required. It would be nice if we could do it at our own pace, like we do with pretty much every other subject. Realistically, any writing program will be difficult for us because writing is just difficult for my kids. They have problems getting their thoughts on paper and writing is physically excruciating for ds. He is going to learn to type this year and that should make things go smoother.