It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:26 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: It's a great feeling
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:55 pm 

when you feel like you have gotten so behind in certain subjects and feel overwhelmed. Then you take a closer look at the things you have covered, the things you need to cover and the time in which you have to cover it and you realize that you're not near as behind as you thought you were. I feel like so much focus has been on reading difficulties and other things have just fallen by the wayside and this year has gotten off course. Plus, the baby is now having speech therapy twice a week and occupational therapy once a week and it is a long drive to his appts, so it's pretty time consuming and draining. But now that we're in a calmer place and things have mostly smoothed out with the reading problem and we are on a good path with that, I've picked back up on some of the things that have been left behind in the wake and panicked a little at the neglected things. But I'm breathing a sigh of relief when I look at future curriculum, grade levels, etc and see that we're still on track (whatever that means) and the kids are not going to end up with a huge deficiency in some area (at least I don't think so, lol).

The baby is taking much shorter naps these days and it's nearly impossible to do any school while he's awake. In preparing for Christian to start 6th grade next year, I'm trying to find ways to make him as independent as possible, which is hard when he can't read things on his own. My hope is for him to someday be able to read his textbooks on his own, but that may not be for 1+ years. There is an audiobook website that has most textbooks on audio, but you need to have a formal dyslexia diagnosis to use it and I don't know when we may get that, if we even do, because it costs thousands of dollars. I did find out that Apologia has audio versions of their textbooks and Wordly Wise also has audio. I am considering using these for him, but I am not sure how he will do with audio. Some audio things he does well with, others not so well. It's worth a try, though, and the cost, if I can keep a little bit of my sanity, lol. And somewhere in all this, we need to fit potty training into the mix and the tot is ready, but I must say the mom is not! :shock: :?

Post subject: Re: It's a great feeling
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:49 pm 

Great Job, Lisa! : )

I KNOW that there's nowhere that YOUR kids will get better schooling than from you. You really pour your heart into it!

Things I do in the car to help make that time more productive/educational are:

Bible Memory songs - like Hide em in your Heart by Steve Green.

Skip Count songs (the ones Martha recommended - they're GREAT!) http://www.skipcountkid.com/bible_heroes.html

Pimsleur foreign language (I had to pay for mine, because we do an obscure language - but most libraries have Spanish, French, etc to be checked out)

And, remember, that many if most libraries have audio books to check out and
Librivox is free if you can figure out a way to get it in transit (I still use a hammer & chisel to access the internet, so I'm no help) https://librivox.org/

Church Hymns on CD

There's actually a book called "Carschooling" if you want to find more resources http://www.carschooling.com/ - they don't all cost a fortune : )

Post subject: Re: It's a great feeling
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:14 pm 

Sorry, I'm late getting back to this, but thank you for all these resources! Who knew there was a thing called "carschooling", lol.