It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: History
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:27 pm 

Has anyone seen the History Channel's "America: The Story of Us"? If so, what did you think of it? This is a series I was thinking about buying for school, but I was happy to find it on Netflix the other day. Christian is so visual, that I will read something to him from the history book and he retains nothing and looks at me like a deer in the headlights if I ask questions about it, but I find a You Tube video on the same subject and he can give me names, dates, places, etc. and tell me everything that happened. So, I'm trying to use as many visuals as I can for History, Geography, and science. I am also planning on buying the Drive Thru History series. The kids have also watched Liberty's Kids multiple times. Christian is very big picture. Don't even bother with the details until he has the big picture, and even then he doesn't care about the details, unless the details involve some type of vehicle or weapon. :lol:

Oh, and I should mention that I do use a history book as a spine and read from living books that are related to that time period and he does pay attention to those, just not the history book itself.

Does anyone have any other sources they've used for visual help with History or even other subjects?

Post subject: Re: History
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:01 pm 

It's been a while since I've seen it... if this is the same one I remember.. it was pretty graphic. Lots of war scenes.
There is more too, but I'll have to PM that to you.

I know you said reading isn't doing it for him, but have you looked into the "Magic Treehouse" books? I was thrown off by the word "magic" when my dc first started reading them, but I read a few and they are pretty accurate historically.
My ds (who was slow to read) loved them and even put them on his Christmas wish list.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:23 pm 

Tory wrote:
It's been a while since I've seen it... if this is the same one I remember.. it was pretty graphic. Lots of war scenes.
There is more too, but I'll have to PM that to you.

I know you said reading isn't doing it for him, but have you looked into the "Magic Treehouse" books? I was thrown off by the word "magic" when my dc first started reading them, but I read a few and they are pretty accurate historically.
My ds (who was slow to read) loved them and even put them on his Christmas wish list.

Thank you. It's hard to tell what age it's appropriate for because it's not rated, but I saw some Amazon reviews on it with Middle-schoolers watching it, not that that means much these days. I'm kind of weird because I'm pretty lenient about things like war scenes (he did recently watch "The War that Made America") and those types of things do not bother him. But I'm more strict about other types of graphic (swearing, nudity, etc), so it would be nice to know of other questionable content. Having "blanked out" in History myself, I always question the accuracy and bias of these types of shows, too.

We have read a couple of the Magic Tree House books and enjoyed them, but I forgot about them until now, so thank you for reminding me. I think our library has a bunch of those books. He does pay a lot more attention when the history is in the context of an interesting story and not just the textbook facts.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:26 pm 

I've been wondering about this one, too, Lisa.

I encountered this program by a Christian Blogger - she uses this series to educate her kids (but, I think she uses it with much older kids) http://plainandnotsoplain.com/america-t ... hool-free/

I suspect if you commented on her blog, or contacted her directly, she'd be able to give you some helpful direction.

The History Channel website does have some clips - you might be able to watch a few to get a feel if your kids are at the right level for it.

http://www.history.com/shows/america-th ... us/videos#

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:44 pm 

Well, Darn. I typed a PM to you and for some reason, my computer bumped me back to the sign in screen. So then the content of my PM was gone.
I'll retype it now. :(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:58 am 

LisaTX wrote:
Has anyone seen the History Channel's "America: The Story of Us"? If so, what did you think of it? This is a series I was thinking about buying for school, but I was happy to find it on Netflix the other day. Christian is so visual, that I will read something to him from the history book and he retains nothing and looks at me like a deer in the headlights if I ask questions about it, but I find a You Tube video on the same subject and he can give me names, dates, places, etc. and tell me everything that happened. So, I'm trying to use as many visuals as I can for History, Geography, and science. I am also planning on buying the Drive Thru History series. The kids have also watched Liberty's Kids multiple times. Christian is very big picture. Don't even bother with the details until he has the big picture, and even then he doesn't care about the details, unless the details involve some type of vehicle or weapon. :lol:

Oh, and I should mention that I do use a history book as a spine and read from living books that are related to that time period and he does pay attention to those, just not the history book itself.

Does anyone have any other sources they've used for visual help with History or even other subjects?

I have seen it. It was well done. There is no swearing in it. Yes, there are some clips of war, but nothing gross or overt. It is a documentary. The Drive Thru History series is wonderful. My kids always enjoyed those episodes. Most of the time for History, I just found movies to correlated with an historic event. Of course, you need to screen said movies to your child's age and appropriateness. There are some rated "R" movies out there that do not have any swearing, but they do, of course, have some "s** scenes. What I would do is watch the movie, first without the kids. Then, I would have pillows ready when we all sat down to watch it. I would pause the movie before said scene, and then, tell my kids to put their faces into the pillow. I would fast forward through that part, and then, we would all resume watching it. When my dd was in elementary school, she was in a homeschool coop that had several years worth of American Girls. She loved it! Lapbooks were always a favorite of ours to do, too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:59 am 

StacyinTN wrote:
LisaTX wrote:

I have seen it. It was well done. There is no swearing in it. Yes, there are some clips of war, but nothing gross or overt. It is a documentary. The Drive Thru History series is wonderful. My kids always enjoyed those episodes. Most of the time for History, I just found movies to correlated with an historic event. Of course, you need to screen said movies to your child's age and appropriateness. There are some rated "R" movies out there that do not have any swearing, but they do, of course, have some "s** scenes. What I would do is watch the movie, first without the kids. Then, I would have pillows ready when we all sat down to watch it. I would pause the movie before said scene, and then, tell my kids to put their faces into the pillow. I would fast forward through that part, and then, we would all resume watching it. When my dd was in elementary school, she was in a homeschool coop that had several years worth of American Girls. She loved it! Lapbooks were always a favorite of ours to do, too.

Whoops! I just realized what you referenced in the beginning. I was talking about, "America: Imagine a World Without Her."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:48 am 

Anna1111 wrote:
I've been wondering about this one, too, Lisa.

I encountered this program by a Christian Blogger - she uses this series to educate her kids (but, I think she uses it with much older kids) http://plainandnotsoplain.com/america-t ... hool-free/

I suspect if you commented on her blog, or contacted her directly, she'd be able to give you some helpful direction.

The History Channel website does have some clips - you might be able to watch a few to get a feel if your kids are at the right level for it.

http://www.history.com/shows/america-th ... us/videos#

Thank you! I'll check this out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:49 am 

StacyinTN wrote:
StacyinTN wrote:
LisaTX wrote:

Whoops! I just realized what you referenced in the beginning. I was talking about, "America: Imagine a World Without Her."

Well, thanks anyways for the ideas, lol. And I haven't heard of this movie. Maybe I will have to check that one out, too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:08 am 
Site Owner

I have to tell you that I'm no fan of the Drive Through History series.

Would you consider some of the picture filled books by DK and others? Perhaps he could look at those and listen to some history biographies, etc.

The Teaching Company has a terrific series on American History on DVD/VHS. See if your library has it.