It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:51 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: About the Mom who doesn't brag about her kid
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:08 am 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pare ... estyle_pop

I thought this was a great article.

Post subject: Re: About the Mom who doesn't brag about her kid
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:17 pm 

:D
Reminded me of friends, whose high functioning autistic son declined a West Point scholarship. I was praying for him. Having known him since he was a toddler, his struggles and accomplishments and back and forth education (public, private and home school) I knew that a military career was not a good fit for him. He is working very hard, knows what he wants to study and taking the pay as you go route through community college. Its not the prestige the parents wanted, but they raised a fine young man.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:17 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/parenting/wp/2014/09/18/you-know-that-mom-who-isnt-joining-in-the-proud-of-my-kid-conversation-yeah-ask-how-shes-doing/?tid=pm_lifestyle_pop

I thought this was a great article.

Great article.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:27 am 

Wow, I can 100% identify with this, even though my children are not young adults yet. One of the main reasons why I have stopped socializing with other moms at homeschooling groups, is that it's painful hearing about their children's academic accomplishments, while I am still trying to help my kids master the basics. Thankfully, now that I have some knowledge and answers, I have found a few online support networks where people understand exactly what I'm going through and are in the same situation. The hardest thing is knowing your kids are extremely bright (so much that it astonishes me on a regular basis), but others can't see their strengths through their weaknesses and also the conditions they have are two of the most ignored and misunderstood ones by society. They are considered "invisible" conditions because nothing appears different with them on the outside, it is in the brain, and also because their level of intelligence does not match their symptoms, which confuses people.