It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:20 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: What makes kids into GREAT musicians?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:16 pm 

https://www.hoffmanacademy.com/blog/cho ... 23815c60c6

This is an article about a study which looked at which factors might turn children into the best musicians.

But, I suspect it might also apply to other areas of study, too.

Post subject: Re: What makes kids into GREAT musicians?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:35 am 

Pretty interesting. However, I feel that when it comes to music, a person either has it in him or he doesn't.. This is innate and it's not the same thing if you try to develop it over time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:17 pm 

Amy19 wrote:
Pretty interesting. However, I feel that when it comes to music, a person either has it in him or he doesn't.. This is innate and it's not the same thing if you try to develop it over time.

I agree. Gen 4:21 says "Adah gave birth to Jabal; he was the father of those who dwell in tents and have livestock. 21His brother's name was Jubal; he was the father of all those who play the lyre and pipe." There is definitely something to be said for genes when it comes to musical abilities (or other abilities). 8-)

It seems likely that children that learn to play an instrument "for life" could have a musical gene, so to speak.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:26 pm 

There may well be a genetic link to being a world's *best* musician, but even Mozart & Yo Yo Ma had to do massive *practice* to become great musicians (Yo Yo Ma, like Mozart was a child prodigy, but we have pretty good records on how much training & practice his parents required of him while he was still a preschooler!). And many folks without the gene could be pretty good if they worked at it. You never know what genetic propensity your kid has till they give it a few years and get reasonably good - then the genius can begin to develop.

Unfortunately, we have an entire culture of people who think *everything* is genetic or instantaneous and never work for *anything*

Even in the Biblical passages, there was a strong nurture link - back in those days, sons did their father's work, because that's all they were ever apprenticed in. It was not just genetics, but also exposure.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:08 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
There may well be a genetic link to being a world's *best* musician, but even Mozart & Yo Yo Ma had to do massive *practice* to become great musicians (Yo Yo Ma, like Mozart was a child prodigy, but we have pretty good records on how much training & practice his parents required of him while he was still a preschooler!). And many folks without the gene could be pretty good if they worked at it. You never know what genetic propensity your kid has till they give it a few years and get reasonably good - then the genius can begin to develop.

Unfortunately, we have an entire culture of people who think *everything* is genetic or instantaneous and never work for *anything*

Even in the Biblical passages, there was a strong nurture link - back in those days, sons did their father's work, because that's all they were ever apprenticed in. It was not just genetics, but also exposure.

Oh, absolutely! Even a gifted singer improves with practice and TRAINING. Someone that works hard and has a good teacher can end up better than someone with a gift that never works at it. No doubt about that.

When I learned piano I just assumed it was something to do for life but that didn't help me get good! :?

I have no clue who YoYoMa is, LOL.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:48 am 

Google Yo Yo Ma on Youtube! He's an astoundingly skilled Cello performer. He began performing at the age of 5, I believe. You might know him from playing the soundtrack on Schindler's List. He also has a strong interest in helping children learn music. His biography is very interesting, too - DD & I read a children's version last year in school.

What I love is the interview I saw with him years ago on Jay Leno. Jay said, "So, as a kid, did you just LOVE to practice?" Ma said, "NO! I HATED it! But, my parents made me. NOW I love to practice!" Then he looked straight at the camera and said, "Parents, MAKE your children practice!"

Sis, perhaps your life long attitude helped you more than you think. After all, you DO play well now! I, on the other hand, looked at lessons as a childhood thing that one did for a while then stopped - and that's exactly what I ended up doing. I'm learning more now with DD's lessons than I ever did on my own - and she's a definite beginner!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:26 pm 

Oh Sis you'll really like Yo Yo Ma!

(also on a side note: one of the ladies in my home school group said she's going to start a band of home school mom's and call it: Yo Ma Ma) :lol: