It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:58 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: My shocking discovery and new game plan
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:08 am 

Keep us apprised, Lisa. It would be exciting to hear this program worked for Christian. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:35 am 

Martha R. wrote:
Eye exercises will significantly help dyslexia!

Martha, I have been doing a lot of research on Dyslexia and while it is a common belief that Dyslexia is a visual problem that can be improved by vision therapy and eye exercises, the most up to date scientific research is showing that Dyslexia is actually a hereditary neurological language processing disorder, and not vision related. The Barton reading website has a bunch of information on it and many links to research articles. These are a couple of excerpts from one of the articles:

While vision problems can interfere with the process of learning, vision problems are not the cause of dyslexia or learning disabilities.

There is no scientific evidence to support the use of eye exercises, vision therapy, tinted lenses or filters to directly or indirectly treat learning disabilities, and such therapies are not recommended or endorsed.

Visual difficulties related to dyslexia, such as faulty directionality and abnormal saccadic eye movements, are symptoms rather than causes.

There is no valid evidence that children participating in vision therapy are more responsive to educational instruction than children who do not participate.

Ineffective, controversial methods of treatment, such as vision therapy, may give parents and teachers a false sense of security that a child's learning difficulties are being addressed, may waste family and/or school resources, and may delay proper instruction or remediation.

This policy statement, which summarizes and quotes many research studies on vision therapy and dyslexia conducted over the past five years, was jointly issued by the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Academy of Ophthalmology, the American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus, and the American Association of Certified Orthopists.

It also sets out recommendations for identifying and treating dyslexia, a language-based disorder.

Another quote:

Historically,many theories have implicated defects in the visual system as a cause of dyslexia. We now know these theories to be untrue. Improved understanding began with a series of related studies that systematically demonstrated that deficits in visual processes, such as visualization, visual sequencing, visual memory, visual perception, and perceptual-motor abilities, were not basic causes of reading difficulties.

Difficulties in maintaining proper directionality have been demonstrated to be a symptom, not a cause, of reading disorders.

Word reversals and skipping words, which are seen in readers with dyslexia, have been shown to result from linguistic deficiencies rather than visual or perceptual disorders.

Short-duration, high-velocity, small jumping eye movements called saccades are used for reading. Readers with dyslexia characteristically have saccadic eye movements and fixations similar to the beginning reader but show normal saccadic eye movements when content is corrected for ability.

The saccadic patterns seen in readers with dyslexia seem to be the result, not the cause, of their reading disability.

Decoding and comprehension failure, rather than a primary abnormality of the oculomotor control systems, is responsible for slow reading, increased duration of
fixations, and increased backward saccades.

Children with dyslexia often lose their place while reading because they struggle to decode a letter or word combination and/or because of lack of comprehension, not because of a “tracking abnormality.” Improving reading has been shown to change saccadic patterns, but there has been no evidence to suggest that saccadic
training results in better reading. Finally, children with saccadic disorders do not show an increased likelihood of dyslexia.

As indicated above, dyslexia is not correlated with eye or eye-movement abnormalities. Numerous studies have shown that children with dyslexia or related learning disabilities have the same visual function and ocular health as children
without such conditions. Specifically, subtle eye or visual problems, including visual perceptual disorders, refractive error, abnormal focusing, jerky eye movements, binocular dysfunction, and misaligned or crossed eyes, do not cause dyslexia. In summary, research has shown that most reading disabilities are not caused by altered visual function. Many children with reading disabilities enjoy playing video games, including handheld games, for prolonged periods. Playing video games requires concentration, visual perception, visual processing, eye movements, and eye-hand coordination. Convergence and accommodation are also required for handheld games. Thus, if visual deficits were a major cause of reading disabilities, children with such disabilities would reject this vision-intensive
activity.

http://www.dys-add.com/resources/Myths/ ... py2009.pdf

Dyslexia encompasses much more than just reading. Because it is caused by a lack of phonemic awareness and the inability to hear chunks of sound, it has a huge effect on writing and spelling. Dyslexia usually shows up in spelling before it shows up in reading. It is not a visual problem, but a language problem. This explains Christians mis-pronounciation of words, his inability to recognize syllables and rhyming words, his spelling difficulties, etc. The only method proven to re-mediate dyslexia, is the Orton-Gillingham method, which has been used since the 1930's.

The earliest warning sign for dyslexia is a speech delay, which Xavier happens to have and we are about to begin speech therapy for him. I have been concerned about his speech since he was about a year old and you guys might remember me posting about it a few times, but I have just brushed it off over the year. But he is two now and his speech has not improved much over the year, he is far behind the normal for his age and it's glaringly obvious. I know about "third child syndrome", but now that I know about our family history of dyslexia and that speech delay is the earliest sign, I will be prepared to see the warning signs and intervene early with him if it does turn out that he also has dyslexia.

I'm sorry for this post being so long, but as you can imagine, I'm very passionate that the truth about dyslexia reaches everyone and someone with a dyslexic child may read this and benefit from it. I wish I had known earlier what I know now, but there is unfortunately still a huge gap between what the experts know and what the schools/parents know. It is slowly getting better, though.

BTW, Christian is just finishing level 1 of the Barton system, but I can't update on his reading yet because the first level is just teaching the phonemic skills they need to decode words and start learning to read. I am excited to start level 2 with him and will update how that goes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:58 am 

I'm looking forward to hearing your updates, Lisa : )

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:54 pm 

Hoping all goes well.

I had a teacher in first grade saying things about Breanne, I found the book
Teach your child in 100 easy lessons.
She did great.
I had a talk with that teacher and told her she did know how to read. She was just shy.
She is the reason why I took out of out public school.
Never regreted it