It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:38 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Help!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:44 pm 

Long story short. I let what I thought was a good friend and her daughter move into our home for the summer. She said she needed help to get back on her feet and since I considered her like a sister, and her daughter was a good friend to my daughter, that it would work out just fine.

Boy was I wrong. I turned into an absolute nightmare. But the worst part is her DD(13) bullied my DD(12) to the point she started cutting herself. She also introduced her to online chat rooms, where my daughter ended up chatting with a sex predator. She also berated my daughter for not going to "real school" and being "stupid" because she doesn't attend the public school. Everything my daughter did was immediately texted to the other girls friends so they could ridicule her every move. She even started having panic attacks. My daughters self esteem has been totally destroyed. I'm looking for a counselor now.

Anyway, I've always done the Charlotte Mason method with her but after talking to her I realized she needed something more structured. Something where she could see her progress better. So I changed to more textbooks and enrolled her in an online history class.

So today for the history class she had to do map skills. Basically mark and label a map of Italy. She became hysterical because she couldn't get the dot in the exact spot and so on. The end result was another panic attack. She is terrified of trying anything now for fear of doing it wrong and being ridiculed.

I need help. How would you go about rebuilding her self esteem? She does AWANA and youth group and takes piano. Sports are out for now. She was just diagnosed with some serious back problems. I just don't know what else will help. I keep kicking myself for allowing this situation to happen.

I won't even go into what the mother did. But my DH did make them leave.

TIA, Terri

Post subject: Re: Help!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:47 pm 
Site Owner

((((Terri)))) I'm so sorry to hear about this situation. I definitely would recommend some counseling. Ask your pastor for a recommendation of a Christian counselor.