It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:58 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Reading update
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:31 am 

Things are going well. There are good days and bad days. I'm really happy with the program we're using, but it's taking longer with Christain because of his attention span and bad habits that have formed over the years, like reading too fast and word guessing. That is our main focus in these first levels of the program right now, breaking those habbits. He does pretty well when I remind him beforehand that I'm looking for accuracy, not speed and that speed will come with accuracy. He usually only has to slow down a tiny bit to get it right. He has learned a great trick for b-d confusion that helps him when none of the others worked. He doesn''t love it but he sees that it helps him and it gives him confidence.

I've also started using the program with Saphira because, while she doesn't show many of the common dyslexia characteristics that Christian has, there are things popping up in her writing and spelling that concern me and I think she would also benefit from many aspects of the program. I think she may have orthographic dyslexia.

There are other changes I'm making in other sujects to fit their learning styles, so there are a lot of changes going on. On top of this, Xavier is having speech therapy appoitments twice a week, so things feel pretty busy and chaotic. But he is starting to say more words and communicate a little better, so we're happy about that. Another thing they're working on in therapy is his focus/attention issues. We all have some ADD in this family, but this child is like nothing I've ever seen before. I'm already bracing myself for when he is school age.

Anyways, that's what's going on around here. I need to come on here more often, I miss it here. Thank you for asking!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:45 am 

So glad to hear from you, Lisa - I've missed you! That's a wonderful report about how well your kids are doing - y'all have been in my prayers.

I'd love to see more of you on here, if you're able : )

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:58 pm 

Thanks, Anna. I miss it here and am trying to come one her more. On top of the school stuff, the kids are in Cub Scouts and American Heritage Girls, which helps keep us busy and I've been helping my mom out with her medical issues. I can't remember if I mentioned that her hip broke during the summer and her Rheumatoid Arthritis has gotten so bad she can barely function, but she has no health insurance so she is not medicated and is in the process of applying for disability, so I'm helping her with all that. Anyways, things are stabilizing a little bit so I should be able to come here more often.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:13 pm 

>>>>He has learned a great trick for b-d confusion that helps him when none of the others worked.

<<< LISA! What IS it!!! LOL

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:21 pm 

BTW, today was a really good day. Christian was very focused on his reading and only made one or two mistakes. His biggest problem is getting the wrong vowel sound (due to guessing or going too fast) and his b-d confusion (which we have been working on getting him to use his trick to check if it's a b or d before he even reads the word). But today things went really well. I felt sad for him yesterday when I got a little glimpse into his world. He started to write a b instead of a d, but he caught himself and fixed it (which is a big deal because he never used to catch his mistakes and this program teaches prevention and correction really well). After fixing it, he sighed and said that he hates when he gets it wrong (which is about 95% of the time if he doesn't check). I told him that's why it's so important to check and double check. It's hard knowing that dyslexia is lifelong and he will always have somewhat of a struggle, but thankfully he can improve and and there is all kinds of help/technology out there for dyslexics these days. There are programs that turn text into speech and that is something I will consider for him down the road because even if/when they do learn to read, some people never become fast and fluent readers and those technologies are a must. But we will see how things go and I'm doing everything I can to give him the best chance at success. We are pretty close to finishing level 2 and moving on to level 3, which will take us much longer because there are a lot more lessons and it gets harder.

He also did extra well on his math today, getting 100% for the first time in awhile. I am wondering if the extra focus today has anything to do with the fact that I just started giving him 1000 mg of fish oil every day, a few days ago. This is a natural substitute for ADHD meds that many people say helps with their kids and some studies show that it is even more effective. But most people say it can take up to two months to notice a difference, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with is, but I hope so.

Last edited by LisaTX on Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:46 pm 

Sis wrote:
>>>>He has learned a great trick for b-d confusion that helps him when none of the others worked.

<<< LISA! What IS it!!! LOL

It's really simple, actually, but it might sound a little complicated. First they learn a trick for b-p confusion, which some kids have, but Christian doesn't usually have a problem with. But the program still has them learn that first because it helps them form the habit and learn the b-d trick later on. It's called the balloons-pigs trick. For b-p, you have them hold up their left hand to make a fist and then they stick up their thumb, so it looks like a b. You show them how it looks like a b and show that their thumb is pointing up into the air and balloons go up into the air. So if they compare their thumb to the letter and it matches, they will know that it says "b". Then they flip their hand over so their thumb is pointing down and the shape is like a p. And you tell them that pigs go down into the mud, so if it matches that, it says "p".

For b-d, they just hold up their hand with their thumb sticking up so that it looks like a b. Then they decide if it's balloons or not. Basically, if it matches their hand, it says "b", if not, it makes the other sound "d". They are taught to check for these tricky letters before they even read the word because the goal is to eliminate guessing and mistakes. Eventually, I think they get to the point where they can visualize all this in their head and not have to physically use their hand, but the good thing is that they will always have their hand with them to physically check if they're not sure and I have noticed Christian do it many times on his own without me having to remind him. I should say that this is not completely fool proof because he does occasionally get it wrong even when he checks, but the only thing I can think of is that he's just going through the motions and not really paying attention.

It does work for him most of the time and has really help because like I said, without checking, he get's it wrong about 95% of the time. I really hope he gets to the point that he gets better with his b-d confusion because I don't know how that will affect his fluency in the long run if he has to continually check. That's something I will probably discuss with the owner of the program. She has really helped me a lot and I am part of a tutoring community that she monitors, where I can ask for any help/advice for anything, which is a lifesaver for me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:38 pm 

It's awesome that you found a professional that will actually work with you! Takes a lot of the pressure off, I would think. The hand thing sounds confusing to me but maybe if I *saw* it I'd get it. I've never seen the b,p issue either but the p,q is something dgs struggles with. He even gets capital B's and D's mixed up! He is coming along well with his reading tho'. It just takes staying on top of it - daily practice. (Just like me with me SPANISH!!!) :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:20 pm 

Yes, that's a huge plus with this program, all the help and hand-holding, which I need, lol. There is a high level of involvement. I emailed her about our story and mentioned how I suspect Xavier might have dyslexia because of his speech delay. She emailed me back right away with the names of a couple books full of activities I can start with him in preschool to help his phonemic awareness and get him ready for school. It's not cheap, but having that trust and working together, is priceless. And it's still cheaper than a professional tutor or institute.

I wish I could find a video of the b-p trick online, but I can't find one. I saw some descriptions on how to do it, but no video. I think what's different about this method, is they compare their hand to the letter to see if it matches. I would think all the other methods out there would work well for a non-dyslexic, but I don't know. Have you tried other methods? If he's really young, he will probably just outgrow it. Glad he is doing well with his reading, though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:48 pm 

Perhaps it would help if I clarify that for the "b", it looks like you're giving a thumbs up and for the "p" it looks like you're giving a thumbs down. Maybe you could skip the whole explanation for it and just have him hold his left hand up like he's giving a thumbs up, so he can just compare that to the letter and if it matches, it makes the "b" sound and if it doesn't, it makes the "d" sound. I don't know if that simplifies it any, lol. I know there's a popular method that uses the method of holding both hands up in a thumbs up and pressing them together and it looks like a bed. I honestly don't know for sure why this program uses this method and if it's an Orton-Gillingham thing or just specific to this program. I could ask and get an answer, but everything works so well I just haven't been questioning it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:30 am 

That explanation did help, thanks. :)

The last thing I tried with dgs was the tongue thing. If the circle comes first you put your tongue "in a circle" like for the sound "d". If the line comes first you "make a line" with your lips closed like when you make the "b" sound. I don't know if it was the timing or if it helped or if it was his age.... Things are finally clicking. I'm not saying he doesn't have to work at reading but he's enjoying it and trying to read things wherever we go. He still gets lazy and just spells a word and asks what it is, tho'.

Your kids are so blessed to have you for their mommy, Lisa!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next