It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:12 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: Reading update
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:15 am 

I have not heard of that method before, but glad it is clicking for him and that he's enjoying it!

Post subject: Re: Reading update
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:19 pm 

Well, we are technically finished with level 2 and we have already received level 3, but I'm doing a little extra practice with him before we start it. There is a post test at the end of each level and they are supposed to pass it with 95% accuracy. There was just one part of the test where he did not pass with 95% accuracy, which is just reading some words on a word list. Ironically, he usually does well with that so I don't know if he was just having a bad day or what, but I'm doing some extra practice and games with him. There is a short chapter story they can read at the end of level 2 and it only has words that they have learned, since they are supposed to do controlled reading until the end of level 4. I had him read the first chapter and I thought it seemed better than his reading in the past. He did miss two words, but there were a few times where he caught and corrected himself and he never did that before, so I was very happy about that. There was only one time where he left out a word ("the", which is a word he commonly leaves out), and that seems to be an improvement, too. I asked him if he thought he did better than before we started the program and if it seemed a little easier and he said yes. There was one sentence where he started getting all jumbled up and flustered and I just told him to re-read it a little slower and more carefully and he did great. His b-d confusion also seems to be getting better.

So, hopefully this progress will continue. It's hard not to feel a little anxious about that after trying so many things and having them fail, but we're just taking it one step at a time and I really feel like if there's anything that will get his reading where it should be, this is it. I'm trying to keep my goals reasonable, though. I know that many people with dyslexia will never love, or even like, reading. Even some who do learn to read well, will still never read fast enough or fluently enough to actually enjoy it. I would love for him to love reading someday, but the only solid goal I have is for him is to be able to read at grade level. I want him to be able to read when he needs to, but I also expect he will take advantage of audio books and assistive technology to make things as easy and enjoyable as possible for him.