It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: What do school lessons look like at your house?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:31 pm 

Now that I have three school-age children (10, 8 and 5--w/ a 3-year-old) I am desiring to be more efficient in my school day. Any suggestions on how to teach everyone together? I am open to any idea!

Post subject: Re: What do school lessons look like at your house?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:53 pm 
Site Owner

Reading aloud while snuggling on the couch works. Singing is one of the best things. If you look on our review page (linked above on the pull down menu), you'll find Lyrical Life Science and Grammar Songs, Geography Songs, etc. We LOVED these! The kids learned so much and didn't even know they were learning. We also used the Wee Sing CD's (available on Amazon - Be sure to use HSC's link!) The kids danced around and sang and learned. :0)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:57 am 

Morning 8 am to around 1 pm are strict school hours (albeit with a ten minutes milk and cookies break in between). And then, evenings are more of hands-on activities - gardening, swimming, crafts and the like. Being a homeschooling mum, it's not always as smooth sailing as it sounds when I mention it here, but then once you get the hang of things, you pretty much decipher how to sail through! So yes, it's a motley mix of things up at my house.

I suggest you get your three kids seated together at a table for fixed hours every day (with a different set of written study tasks for them) but then bond together with activities (like I mentioned above) in the evenings in which everybody can pitch in.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:50 pm 

We would do our school work in the morning. From about 9-1 we would do our school work with lunch at about 1130. I know when I start my son this year for kindergarten, we will be going to the park in the morning and then doing studies. But thats because of the disgusting weather we get in the Fall here in Florida :(

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:34 am 

Following up from Steph's post, Aiden and Sydney love ABCMouse. They do that a couple of times a day. As for Sloanie, she loves listening to the "letter songs" and dances to them. There are the daily papers they do - Aiden with math or ABC's, Sydney with her comparing shapes, pointing out colors. It's very free right now, and they are still learning. We do little things...like today we are going to make bird feeders our of toilet paper rolls and peanut butter. We'll hang them up outside and talk about how God cares for all of us. Very simple. They'll also be helping Grandpa with "chores". At this age, they don't need a lot of structured learning.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:12 am 

Did you mean all the curriculum together or just overlapping some parts of the day together? Usually I get DS to do her self study/reading when DD has a more active subject to study and then vice versa.