It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:00 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: Need some fun ideas for high school American history
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:42 am 

Would this idea work for you
http://owenfoodies.wordpress.com/2014/0 ... is-kahoot/

(I haven't researched it in depth, just happened across the blog post - but it looks interesting : )

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:32 am 

Signing the Declaration of Independence.

In this activity, explore the Declaration of Independence by having your child pretend to be a member of the group that signed it. This is a great activity to help kids start to identify the personal and collective values in our nation and can be the start of an important, life-long discussion.
What You Need:

Our "Declaration of Independence Pledge Sheet"
Several curious middle school (or older) kids who are studying American History (and maybe an interested adult moderator or two!)

What You Do:

Download enough copies of the "Declaration of Independence Pledge Sheet" for each participant.
Establish a context for all the participants so that everyone understands the history and purpose of the activity. Though some people may confuse the two, the Declaration of Independence (signed in 1776) is not the same as the Constitution (ratified in 1789). The Declaration was written to tell England the reasons why the colonies were rebelling and why these reasons were justified. On the other hand, the Constitution was written to outline the system of laws and processes that would unify America. The Declaration is not a law itself; however, its words did inspire many aspects of the democratic system we enjoy today.
Encouraging the participants to keep these facts in mind, ask them: would you sign the Declaration if it were put in front of you today?
Start the activity by reading the famous first paragraph of the Declaration aloud together. This paragraph is included in the top of the "Pledge Sheet."
Next, identify the plain language versions of the four major ideas which the Founders put forward. Give everyone an allotted amount of time to read each idea and make notes in silence. Remind participants not to sign the document yet. This activity is based on a great American tradition of open debate, so signatures should come afterward!
After the allotted time, discuss each statement, one at a time. Be aware that the ideas presented are rich and nuanced topics, and in our free democracy, discussions can and should go on for years. For the purpose of this activity, set a timer for each topic. Remember, even if it does not feel like enough time, it’s a tribute to the complexity of the issues, not a failure of this activity!
After you've discussed all four statements, declare one last minute of silence for everyone to reflect on the points brought up in discussion. Then, invite everyone to sign where they can agree, and tally up the group's totals.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:52 am 

Martha R. wrote:
Well, unfortunately, my hands are tied on many things. However, I did an incentive with a pizza party and some of the kids reached the goal. (My purpose was to get them ALL to meet it.) SIGH. I am going to work on the Jeopardy idea as I got the school to buy a buzzer system. :0)

Were you able to get the buzzer system? My dd had to buy a "clicker" for her college class so they could answer trivia questions while class is in session. She said that it is really fun.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:21 pm 
Site Owner

I got a buzzer system, but it doesn't work well. I was really frustrated with it! I think it would work better with just a few people on it rather than the 12 that came with it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:54 pm 

Martha R. wrote:
I got a buzzer system, but it doesn't work well. I was really frustrated with it! I think it would work better with just a few people on it rather than the 12 that came with it.

Bummer.