It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:29 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: So what grades and what curricula are you planning
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:21 pm 

for the upcoming 2012-2013 school year? Any unit study users here? I miss those days! My favorite Unit Studies were Learning Adventures and My Father's World. I am looking into some GED classes for Sky. Here there is a special program that they can go through and they are issued a diploma instead of the GED when they pass the GED because they are homeschooled.

Post subject: Re: So what grades and what curricula are you planning
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:37 am 

Jenileigh wrote:
for the upcoming 2012-2013 school year? Any unit study users here? I miss those days! My favorite Unit Studies were Learning Adventures and My Father's World. I am looking into some GED classes for Sky. Here there is a special program that they can go through and they are issued a diploma instead of the GED when they pass the GED because they are homeschooled.

My dd is enrolled at our local Community College, so the books are chosen for her. My ds is enrolled in a tutoring program called Classical Conversations, so again, his books are already chosen by the program. The only thing we switched was the math. They use Saxon, but I have ordered Teaching Textbooks, the newest version for him.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:00 pm 

I think you'll really like Teaching Textbooks math. You'll have to let us know. :) They are growing up aren't they? Time just flies.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:05 am 

We loved Teaching Textbooks too - used Geometry and Algebra 1 and 2.
I'm using Before Five in a Row with my grandson - he's 3 1/2. Since we're doing pre-k for 2 years, it will be easy going - more play-type learning than anything else.
But, I sure do miss the days of planning - many times we didn't follow it and made lots of rabbit trails but it sure was fun - and hard. ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:21 pm 

We'll be using a World of Adventure this year. I just mapped out our first 2 weeks yesterday. Now, I'm hoping the book we need is at the library for that portion. " )

Will be saving my craft coupons from Sunday's paper to purchase things we need for our first historical diorama. I'm VERY excited to start!

We've done Konos in the past and enjoyed that, too. I was hoping to doa co-op this year to make it more fun for my son, since we're only homeschooling one now, but I didn't have any takers. It was going to be a working co-op, where each mom helped teach something. Oh well, we'll still have a great time together!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:56 am 
Site Owner

We're doing 9th and 11th grades here this year. :0) We always use a hodgepodge of materials.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:12 pm 

4th grade and I think we are switching to My Father's World. We would be doing the Exploring Countries and Cultures this year. We do Life of Fred for math and I have Rod and Staff for language arts (found it cheap on ebay last year so went ahead and got it) but am debating with using the Intermediate Language Lessons that MFW recommends.

Jenileigh, you did that didn't you? Did you like it? Did you use the ILL? We didn't finish our language arts book last year so I hope he can jump into the ILL and do okay without having done their Primary Language Lessons.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:15 pm 
Site Owner

We used ILL. It worked great for my dd, but my son... He needs more structure and more direct lessons. :0)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:35 pm 

Well, we will be using SOS (8th grade plus 2 electives....GA history and The Story of the Constitution) all the way. It's not my first choice nor is it my desire for homeschooling, but I have chosen it for 2 reasons.

1. I needed something where I could back away and be off the scene as much as possible. Any papers dd has to write will be graded by someone other than myself - I have a couple of teacher friends who will help me out with this. I just need to take myself out of the equation as much as possible. It's not what I like, nor is it what I want, but for right now, it's what we will do.

2. I really do need something that's portable as I make many trips back and forth to my parents (4 hours one way). This program certainly fills this particular need!

In addition, dd will be taking piano lessons once a week, Co-op once a week, and Keepers of the Home twice a month. Plus occasional church activities.

I am actually looking forward to this more than I thought I would, and I am going to do the best I can to make it work.

I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me. (Phil. 4:13)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:43 pm 

Carol-yes we did to MFW although we never did ECC, I'm pretty sure that year we were to start was the year I had to put my girls back in public school. Actually I'm positive it was because I'd ordered ECC already they let me return it for full refund no questions asked. I think you'll love the ILL. :)

Laurajean I believe you will enjoy this year a lot as well. When our circumstances are beyond our control we have to figure out what works best for us. When things flow for us they are always better. :)

This is going to be a different year for me as well. Sky will have night classes Tue-Thurs, Meadow is going into the 6th grade at ps, and I'm going into RN school at a school an hour and twenty minutes away. I won't be able to work my job because of class hours. I am considering finding something part time for gas $ and food but I must make sure I'll be able to handle the work load. I'm really trying to enjoy each moment as it comes but I can't help but look forward to the day I graduate and I can find a job where I will be able to work without having to do so much school alongside of my job.

I'm ready for a break. :)