It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:47 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: I love encouraging days
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:02 am 

Was doing phonics with ds today and after the lesson, he just started to read the instructions to parennts that were on another page. It was probabbly the most fluently and accuratly I've heard him read. I gave him a high five and said that was great. He just shrugged and mumbled, "Yeah, I guess I have been getting better at reading." I said, "I told you all this hard work will pay off". I've been giving him a coin after each lesson when he gives it his best effort, to keep in a jar and redeem for a prize.

I pinpointed that he was having trouble with four letter words. His inability to read them fluently was part of what was making his reading so slow. It was taking so much of an effort, that it's no wonder he hated reading. The phonics book says not to move on until he can read four letter works quickly and acurately. It shouldn't take an effort. So we've spent weeks just in this one area. This has been a test on both of our patience, which is why days like this are so encouraging. I have noticed improvement and he seems to be getting better about not guessing words and his eye tracking seems to be getting better. He is reading sentences faster and more accurately. Please please don't let me just be imagining this improvement!

Post subject: Re: I love encouraging days
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:02 am 

LisaTX wrote:
Was doing phonics with ds today and after the lesson, he just started to read the instructions to parennts that were on another page. It was probabbly the most fluently and accuratly I've heard him read. I gave him a high five and said that was great. He just shrugged and mumbled, "Yeah, I guess I have been getting better at reading." I said, "I told you all this hard work will pay off". I've been giving him a coin after each lesson when he gives it his best effort, to keep in a jar and redeem for a prize.

I pinpointed that he was having trouble with four letter words. His inability to read them fluently was part of what was making his reading so slow. It was taking so much of an effort, that it's no wonder he hated reading. The phonics book says not to move on until he can read four letter works quickly and acurately. It shouldn't take an effort. So we've spent weeks just in this one area. This has been a test on both of our patience, which is why days like this are so encouraging. I have noticed improvement and he seems to be getting better about not guessing words and his eye tracking seems to be getting better. He is reading sentences faster and more accurately. Please please don't let me just be imagining this improvement!

I just found out that a group of hs moms have been turning on the closed caption feature on their tv so their kids are learning to read the words while hearing the sound from the tv. They said a lot of their kids improved their reading skills by doing just this. It also helped them with the eye tracking, too.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:29 am 

Wow, that's interesting, Stacy! Maybe I will try that, too!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:56 am 

So, so happy to hear that it is all coming together for you & for Christian, Lisa! Makes me really happy!

A lot of people talk about reading just "clicking" but, I've seen a lot of kids learn to read, and I've never seen one big click, but rather a bunch of little ones : )

*YOU* are a great teacher!

Let this give you confidence, too, with little Xavier - you're the best teacher he could have -because you're the one God put in charge of his education & development in life. When you hit a little roadblock, ask some questions on here & do some research & solve the puzzle : ) It's the same method the "professionals" use when they hit a roadblock - but they can't care as much about your kid as you do!

Great job, Lisa - and Thanks be to God! : )

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:28 pm 

This is wonderful news!!
I'm so happy for you both! Great days like this make those difficult days easier to bear (because you know that a breakthrough is just around the corner.)
:)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:11 pm 

Thank you! This has been the best homeschooling year so far, seeing the progress both kids have made. It's the first year I haven't felt lost and hopeless when it comes to ds. He's also come a long way in math.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:11 pm 
Site Owner

Woohoo! This is wonderful to hear, Lisa!!!