It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:56 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: My Father's World 1st grade review
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:25 pm 

Post by Crystal-

This is why I really LOVE MFW first grade.

You don't have to add stuff to make it complete. I know from time to time people wonder if MFW first grade is "just phonics or just this or just that". No. It's everything you need.

Even if your first grade age child is "ahead of the curve in reading", you might be tempted to not do MFW first grade. Please re-consider. Even kids who are ahead in reading and are first grade age will benefit from everything in here.

My little youngest child (the one with autism) is "ahead of the curve in reading". go figure that. But, you know what, I'm realizing as I use this program again? Marie Hazell wrote scripts in this manual to teach spelling rules along the way.

oh my! I was so stupid to rush my middle child through the first 20-30 days of the first grade program a few years ago. She was "ahead of it". right? Don't we all feel that way at times? come on.... admit it.... come on....

But in doing so, I missed those early spelling rules that Marie Hazell put in the manual.

We're on day 16 this morning. I realized that already we've covered the vast majority of the rules that are in the suddenly popular spelling program All about Spelling, level 1. we've covered doubling consonants, and then today -- lo and behold.... there was it.... using CK for /k/ after short vowel. bingo. I almost missed it because I was thinking "my baby already reads this stuff and she really wants to make her spaghetti right now instead of marking vowels and letter....".

Then I looked down at the next thing (line 6): and there was Grammar in the program too. :thud: you mean I've been right all these years when I said that? (giggle). You mean we're teaching grammar (rules of punctuation at least) in this too, without it having to be rote memory work of parts of speech?

Wahoo!!!! Go Marie Hazell!

So, can I make a public appeal to unknown, random mom/dad out there who has a kid who is reading, but is still first grade age ---- consider using MFW 1st grade for all language arts and math needs for your child (even if you have kids in older programs.) Why piece meal this thing and that thing and drive yourself crazy?

Ok.. so maybe the coffee was stronger than usual this morning. But even though this is my 2nd time using MFW 1st, I loooooooooooooove how complete it is without losing the gentle nature of a Charlotte Mason influence. I love that we were able to find real life applications of our memory verse this week while my daughter wanted to play outside in the rain (thunderstorm actually).....

p.s. I have 3 kids. homeschooled all along. youngest is 7, and using MFW first grade b/c that is where she is.

Crystal
(I do have persmission to share her experiences with MFW.)