It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:31 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Need some project ideas....
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:07 am 

I am needing some help with project (book reports, essays, research, etc) for my 9th grade (unmotivated :o ) dd. I am especially needing some ideas in the history dept....early American, Constitution, Declaration of Independence, etc

TIA!

I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me. (Phil. 4:13)

Post subject: Re: Need some project ideas....
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:22 am 

also, world Geography. Or current event project ideas would be good as well.
Thanks again!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:12 am 

I'm assuming you want something with a little bit of fun:

Consider having her do a blog on a topic - one that has an interesting angle. (Blogs can be passworded - so only friends & family can read, if you don't want the whole world contacting your dd - or they can be "searchable" and public, and monitored by you : ). She would need to do research, and find public domain pictures to insert in her story. She could put in footnotes if you like. She could also cut & paste in a photo-shop type program to put her own, or an imaginary friend's picture in.

For instance, if she has an interest in sports (world cup, Olympics, etc) , she could do a post once or twice a week about a team or athlete and its country of origin.

If she likes fashion, she could do a story on Italian fashion & how it is influenced by the culture, one on French fashion, one on British Fashion, etc.

Have her write a blog as a ghost writer for an imaginary time-traveler - and go back to early American times - a different time for each story.

If she likes food, a story on each country & its food would be good.

The music of various countries, their culture, and the personality of the artists would make a good blog topic. She could even pick a genre to report on (when I was in Asia I was always amazed by the Asian "Country & Western" artists ; ) And, European "Rap" artists are also intriguing.

A travel blog with an imaginary traveler for whom she travel-writes might also be good.

If she's into Religion, she could do a piece on the various Missionaries sent by your Church (on a national level) and where they serve, and what its like there.

On a different note, some communities have a mock -government or mock-UN, or mock-trial for young people to participate in. Visiting a government building and researching current legislation attempts, or observing a real trial & writing about it would also be good.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:03 am 

I guess I should clarify :oops:
What I am really looking for are topic ideas for research papers/essays. Other projects (like salt dough maps :geek: :D ) are ok, but not any big, long-term projects, as she would either feel overwhelmed or lose interest and not keep up.

I like the blog idea, but a project involving so much time on the internet is not do-able right now.

Thanks for your help and ideas. and yes, "fun" is always good!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:08 am 

Yup - when I hear "project" I think long term, hands on.

Blogging *can* be done offline, and YOU would be the one to do the posting/get on the internet - if that is an issue.

I'll think on the other stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:09 am 

laurajean wrote:
I am needing some help with project (book reports, essays, research, etc) for my 9th grade (unmotivated :o ) dd. I am especially needing some ideas in the history dept....early American, Constitution, Declaration of Independence, etc

TIA!

How about interviewing some vets from different wars (history) and write a paper and publish on her blog?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:42 am 
Site Owner

I had some really good results in the American history class I'm teaching. We watched portions of the PBS show Colonial House. (Make sure to preview this as there are some sections that are not appropriate.) Then I had the kids write an impromptu essay about being transported back into 1620. They had to say how they got there, what they saw and did, to whom they talked, what they were wearing, and how they got back. The stories were great, and it shows they learned something. :0)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:51 am 

Martha R. wrote:
I had some really good results in the American history class I'm teaching. We watched portions of the PBS show Colonial House. (Make sure to preview this as there are some sections that are not appropriate.) Then I had the kids write an impromptu essay about being transported back into 1620. They had to say how they got there, what they saw and did, to whom they talked, what they were wearing, and how they got back. The stories were great, and it shows they learned something. :0)

Thanks, Martha! That's exactly what I was looking for! I am going to implement several of the "You Were There" essays. That's a great way to combine both facts/research with creative writing.