It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:25 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: College Decisions
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:48 pm 

I'd rather have her live on campus. Time to spread her wings.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:35 pm 

I wish my ds could live on campus, but we cannot afford it. :( He started off at the community college to get the had to stuff (English, math etc...). He transferred to Texas Christ University this year. He got a scholarship but it wasn't enough. We live close to the school so that helps.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:03 am 

If it is really important to you to have a child live in the dorm at college, then work on doing some research about what goes on in the dorms of the colleges you select.

My observations in recent years at pubic universities have included the following:
*public* acts of s*x in dorms.
students being locked out of their rooms for the night while the roommate was "entertaining guests"
Floor parties so loud and raucous that studying was impossible.
and, of course, the vomit on the floor of the common areas from partying residents
Christian girls being deprived of their privacy while undressed by the male guests of their roommates

I have a young friend who spent her first year in the dorm, who gets a horrified look on her face when someone suggests sending their child to live at the dorm - because she's been thru all of this sort of thing. When I was at grad school (not long ago) these things were also common there.

Although independence is great for our kids, when they're ready for it, we don't want to send them off to Sodom & Gomorrah to live. I would not for a second assume that *all* Christian universities are immune to this stuff (though, perhaps at least the faculty might choose to do something about it.

Be sure you do some serious inquiries with devout kids who live in the dorm (I don't know any faculty who are even aware this stuff is going on - the days of the adult "dorm mother" are long past at most schools)

Personally, when friends tell me they don't have money to have their kids live on campus, I tell them they are blessed.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:02 am 

my DD lived in the dorm for all 5 years of her college life. Yes, she knew there was sex going on but there was never any incident that she knew of where someone was locked out of their room or where the parties were so loud and vomit all over. She lived in a "dorm style" unit for 2 years and her complaint was that her neighbors were loud and stayed up later than she did. Her answer was to buy some earplugs. At her school the roomates are required to sign a roomate agreement and if the terms of the agreement are not being met the offending roomate can be thrown out of the room and this is a secular college. Her last 3 years she lived in an on-campus apartment where she had her own room but shared the unit with 3 other girls. One year she got a loud apartment mate but having her own room helped. My son stayed in a suite his first year and now stays in a regular dorm room (his choice) Most schools have different style living arrangements so you might look at them. The caveat is that living in a suite or apartment cost more but on the other hand you had more flexibility with meal plans so the cost balanced itself out.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:12 pm 

DD has begun sending in applications. So far:

Butler University (Indianapolis)
Univ South Florida (Tampa)
Univ Missouri - Kansas City

She should apply to a few more, probably in-state schools (Flagler, Southeastern, ??)