It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:46 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: College Decisions
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:04 pm 

DD and I are deep in the college search process. Currently she wants to pursue a degree in speech pathology. That means an undergrad degree in communications disorder.

The schools she is interested in at the moment:

Northwestern (IL)
Purdue (IN)
Butler College (IN)
Nazareth College (NY)
Boston University (MA)
Univ of S. Florida (Tampa)
Biola Univ (CA)
Geneva College (PA)

We've got a couple of road trips planned. My sister will take her to see Northwestern, Purdue, Butler, Nazareth, Boston.

I will take her to see Florida State Univ (Tallahassee) and Auburn (GA) which aren't on her list. Then we'll go up to Geneva. Biola will have to wait until/if she gets accepted. She had once considered Baylor in TX, but has decided against it.

Currently dd is leaning towards going to a secular university. She's ready to be out of the bubble and detests the idea of colleges that create a bubble. If she goes to a Christian school she wants it to be one that is very outward minded in how everything they do should be to reach the lost. I'm not sure where Biola and Geneva fall. Biola is non-denominational, but they hold to a conservative evangelical doctrine. Geneva is reformed presbyterian. I imagine that both have a bubble feel, but dd may like the idea of being challenged by other believers. She would never fit into a school like Pensacola Christian or Bob Jones.

Does anyone have thoughts on any of these schools?

Post subject: Re: College Decisions
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:36 pm 
Site Owner

We have a friend who is at USF working on speech pathology. Your dd is aware it requires a Master's Degree, right?

Of course, with my background I'll recommend Auburn -- which is in Alabama. :0) It's a good school in the heart of the Bible belt, so while it is not a Christian school, there are lots of Christians there.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:49 pm 

Yes, she understands the masters degree. We're hoping to get her in with a local speech path so she can shadow or volunteer with her before committing. She originally wanted to get a linguistics degree and then move into speech path, but those that have done that have said it would be more beneficial to get the communications disorder degree.

On Monday we visited USF. I wasn't thrilled. Their lack of self promotion and poor communication about the tour made it feel like a glorified community college. DD did like it. I actually didn't end up on the tour because their poor communication about parking made me have to run back to the car to put on a parking pass while she and ds went on the tour. I gave up trying to catch up with them and sat in a dorm lobby until they finished.

The pros of USF are:

in-state tuition
90 minutes from home
a youth group friend will also be attending
previous youth pastor has moved to Tampa to start a college ministry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:42 am 
Site Owner

Well, ultimately, she will not likely be hanging out with people she knows from home - the pastor or kids her own age. College will have her branching out into new directions, for good or for bad. I wouldn't let the friends influence the decision. That's a big school with all sorts of people in it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:51 am 

Neesa in FL wrote:
DD and I are deep in the college search process. Currently she wants to pursue a degree in speech pathology. That means an undergrad degree in communications disorder.

The schools she is interested in at the moment:

Northwestern (IL)
Purdue (IN)
Butler College (IN)
Nazareth College (NY)
Boston University (MA)
Univ of S. Florida (Tampa)
Biola Univ (CA)
Geneva College (PA)

We've got a couple of road trips planned. My sister will take her to see Northwestern, Purdue, Butler, Nazareth, Boston.

I will take her to see Florida State Univ (Tallahassee) and Auburn (GA) which aren't on her list. Then we'll go up to Geneva. Biola will have to wait until/if she gets accepted. She had once considered Baylor in TX, but has decided against it.

Currently dd is leaning towards going to a secular university. She's ready to be out of the bubble and detests the idea of colleges that create a bubble. If she goes to a Christian school she wants it to be one that is very outward minded in how everything they do should be to reach the lost. I'm not sure where Biola and Geneva fall. Biola is non-denominational, but they hold to a conservative evangelical doctrine. Geneva is reformed presbyterian. I imagine that both have a bubble feel, but dd may like the idea of being challenged by other believers. She would never fit into a school like Pensacola Christian or Bob Jones.

Does anyone have thoughts on any of these schools?

Bloomington, IN = Indiana University. I lived there for 10 1/2 years, and took some college classes there, too.. Beautiful area and school.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:55 am 

My Mom went to Geneva, my Grandparents attended the Church that was the parent Church for Geneva, they lived near Campus, and my Grandmother went there in the 20's. My Grandparents spent their last ten years in the nursing home run by the Reformed Presbyterians. I know it pretty well. It is a small college & conservative Christian, but my feeling is that they don't have that "groupthink" totalitarian feel that some ultra-religious schools have. The Covenanters were some of the loveliest people I have ever known, while at the same time being some of the most stalwart in their doctrine.

Any questions you have about Geneva, just ask me : )

My recommendation to ALL young people, is that if the local community college offers their area of study, it is a great option (unless you get a full ride to a 4-year school).

She could learn to be a speech pathologist's assistant in two years. It would cost about 1/4 the price of a four year school. She might be able to commute from home & avoid the party life (which is a HUGE temptation, no matter how saintly the kid). At the end of two years, she can transfer to the four year school and loose nothing (if she talks to the four-year school in advance). Then, she can work in the field during her last two years, get more money for college, get experience and networking in her chosen field, know if it's really for her before she's spent time & money for a masters, have less (or no) college loan debt that would keep her from one day choosing to be home with her children if she so desires. And, have a LOT better understanding of the upper level classes when she gets there. And, a resume with *experience* on it when she graduates. Not only that, but if life intervenes (say, she wants to get married & has a baby after the first two years) she would have a trade that would not leave her flipping burgers after three or four years of school. I cannot think of ANY advantage of a University for the first two years of school.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:06 am 

Valdosta State College and University in Valdosta, GA (near the GA/FL border) has an excellent speech pathology program. so does the University of GA, but I believe Valdosta is probably more affordable.

I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me. (Phil. 4:13)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:11 am 

Lived in Tampa for years. If your dd does go to USF, makes sure she lives WAY OFF campus. Its a notorious high crime area. I agree about PCC-Pensacola, but it would fit the right person. I would have loved to gone there back in the day. Instead I chose the community college route in a VERY liberal school, with VERY liberal teachers. I would have loved to have Christian teachers.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:40 am 

USF now requires freshman to live on campus.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:28 pm 

The University here also requires that Freshman live on campus, but locals can sign a waiver and get their Freshman out of the requirement.
I know many that have done that.
See if USF has such a waiver.

*The waiver is for those close enough to live at home for their Freshman year.