It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:27 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Using calculators...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:35 am 

When do you let your students use calculators? DD has become so dependent on using a calculator that she gets very upset if I don't allow it. I can understand using one if there are a lot of "big" numbers to work with, or a formula that would require one. but What about the sammler stuff.....like simple, basic math facts suchnas 2*2*2? You know....really basic stuff?

I am just wondering how important this is, and if it's a "hill I want to die on" if you KWIM! :lol:

I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me. (Phil. 4:13)

Post subject: Re: Using calculators...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:54 am 

I am (sadly) learning my basic addition facts with DD - and I hope to get my multiplication done that way, too. I NEVER learned my facts- partly because of a mental block in that area, but largely because of poor teaching. Our school spent very little time on basic facts - and when some kids (maybe 10%) had mastered the facts - they moved on to other things. Leaving me and many others in the dust. I used a calculator for years because I didn't know the facts - I still do use a calculator.

I invariably test very high on math reasoning, and very low on computation - I know how to figure out the formulas - until I multiply 9x7 & get the wrong answer (or worse yet, 7+2)- and it messes everything up!

Mom was a math teacher (before I was born) and her theory was that the only way to master math was to drill, drill, drill the basic facts until they were mastered - and not to move on to the next level until the facts were mastered. (She wasn't able to tutor me for a variety of reasons) That's what I'm trying to do with DD.

Personally - this issue is a "hill to die on" as far as I am concerned (along with basic phonics) - any kid finishing grade school should know their math facts backwards & forwards. If they rely on a calculator, it's because they don't know really their facts (this is the voice of calculator-dependent experience here).

You might be able to go ahead & let her use the calculator for fancy math for now ON THE CONDITION that she spend 10 minutes a day with you - every day -doing basic flash card drill for basic facts- starting with addition. That might be a compromise that would allow her to get her work done and learn at her level, without neglecting the remedial work she needs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:18 am 

Thanks, Anna....very good advice and suggestions. She was drilled -and knows (or at least KNEW!) her basic facts, but she has become very lazy in the last year or two. she is 14 - almost 15, so that also explains a lot, but things have been very difficult with her lately and sometimes it is hard for me to know if I am making too big a deal over some things....you know...when to lighten up and when to tighten up. I don't have a lot of confidence in myself these days. *sigh*

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:26 pm 

I would probably start every math session with a sheet of math facts to do BEFORE the actual work began. Then I would have her do half the problems without the calculator until the attitude and work showed improvement. Then I would drop it to doing 2 or 3 before getting the calculator. I would ALWAYS have her do at least one of the new problems without the calculator and ALWAYS have her do a math fact sheet.

And I like what Anna said, too! :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:36 pm 

I tend to believe in being a kindhearted drill sergeant ; )

I heard a story once about WWII vets who said - "Out drill sergeant had established such discipline in us that it was less scary to face the enemy than to go back & face our drill sergeant knowing we had failed!"

She'll appreciate loving discipline later - (as Tory recently mentioned from St. Paul - no discipline is pleasant at the time - and I might add it's not fun for YOU or for her!)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:13 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
I tend to believe in being a kindhearted drill sergeant ; )

I heard a story once about WWII vets who said - "Out drill sergeant had established such discipline in us that it was less scary to face the enemy than to go back & face our drill sergeant knowing we had failed!"

She'll appreciate loving discipline later - (as Tory recently mentioned from St. Paul - no discipline is pleasant at the time - and I might add it's not fun for YOU or for her!)

I sure hope so, Anna. I hope that one day, she appreciates the discipline that we are attempting to place in her life. At this moment, though, she is not accepting it very well. We are mean, unreasonable, etc. If she does poorly, it's not her fault - even though she spent no time at all preparing or studying - It's the test's fault for having too many questions, or it's my fault for whatever reason pops into her head.

Some days are very tiring, disheartening, and discouraging. I spend a lot of time praying!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:58 pm 

It's a tough thing.

There's a Orthodox author who says, "You can influence your children for their first two years by your actions - after that your only hope is prayer" or words to that effect.

We just do our best & try to balance discipline & gentleness.

Our boys got much easier after about age 14 - maybe that will happen for you, too : )

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:10 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
It's a tough thing.

There's a Orthodox author who says, "You can influence your children for their first two years by your actions - after that your only hope is prayer" or words to that effect.

We just do our best & try to balance discipline & gentleness.

Our boys got much easier after about age 14 - maybe that will happen for you, too : )

Thanks, (((Anna.))) I hope it gets a little easier, too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:24 pm 

This is not really related to calculators, but for math facts mastery, I am loving the XtraMath website. It's free and each kid logs in daily to their account and the computer does it all. They race against the computer and get incentives like smiley faces for answering quickly and accurately. It starts out at the basic level and moves forward at their pace. If they get something wrong, like 2+4, it will keep giving them that problem on a regular basis until they get it right. I get email updates with their progress. We have been doing it over the summer and ds almost has his addition facts all down. Then it will be on to subtraction. I have noticed a difference in his skills. When he does his math worksheets, he will often say "Oh I know this one! I do this one all the time on the computer!" Math is finally starting to "click" for him.

I'm bad at my basic math facts, too. When I was in HS, I noticed that the "harder" math was easier for me than "easy" things like 8x6.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:14 pm 

Having the basic math facts down will make the rest of learning math easier. Yes, it is a hill to die on.