It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:32 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The ongoing saga with ds's reading
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:56 am 

Anna1111 wrote:
Another thing that helps get past the sight -reading habit is to make up nonsense words that follow a phonics rule to have the reader practice sounding out. Words like "Fap" (to practice CVC's or "Boad" (to practice OA words). This way there word can ONLY be sounded out - not guessed at. Lists of words like these can really build up reading muscle : )

Our phonics program did this. :) It also helped dgs learn rhyming. :) I don't remember having a child that couldn't figure out rhyming and it was kind of amusing to see the words he'd put together. Bat .... tractor.

I never really tho't about WHY they had those funny words in there. He still sounds out the letters and then comes up with a whole different word that has none of those letters or sounds in it! My sister, a 1st grade teacher, told me that it's because of the different ways people learn. Dh learned sight reading and he still struggles with (and hates) reading. He loves being read TO, tho'.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:12 pm 

The phonics pages I'm using have some made up words like that. On the dyslexia test he took, he got more of the made up words right, than he did real words! I guess it's because he had to sound it out.

Today when I had him read, I pointed to each word with my finger and I was amazed at what a difference it made. I thought that would be the same as him pointing to it or using a bookmark, but it was different. He read right through it way faster than normal. There were a few words that he got wrong and he usually got them right on the next try, after I paused there with my finger. There were only about two words that I actually had to read to him. He said it was easier to do this way, too. I guess we will keep doing it that way and hopefully he will eventually be able to read accurately and quickly on his own, without me having to help.

He does have a couple books from the library that he reads to himself sometimes before bed, but they are easy readers, like level 1 or 2. He doesn't like the ones with too many words, even if it's one of his favorite "subjects". He had a Star Wars one that he got through several chapters on his own and then gave up and asked me to read the rest to him because there were too many words and too many hard words.

It's funny how opposite dd is. She was never in school and never learned sight reading, but I think she might also just be more reading inclined. She reads to herself a lot. She just finished reading through a big book of "Dick and Jane" stories from the library and she asked me, "Even though I already finished the book, can I read through it again? I love this book!" She is moving through the phonics pages faster than him and sometimes she even corrects him or jumps in with the word before he gets a chance to, so I have to make her leave the room.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:14 pm 

Oh, and he's reading through the McGuffey Second reader. I only had him read 2 lessons today because he was complaining about having to read, but sometimes I have him do more. I also thought it would take him a lot longer than it did.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:29 pm 

LisaTX wrote:
The phonics pages I'm using have some made up words like that. On the dyslexia test he took, he got more of the made up words right, than he did real words! I guess it's because he had to sound it out.

Today when I had him read, I pointed to each word with my finger and I was amazed at what a difference it made. I thought that would be the same as him pointing to it or using a bookmark, but it was different. He read right through it way faster than normal. There were a few words that he got wrong and he usually got them right on the next try, after I paused there with my finger. There were only about two words that I actually had to read to him. He said it was easier to do this way, too. I guess we will keep doing it that way and hopefully he will eventually be able to read accurately and quickly on his own, without me having to help.

He does have a couple books from the library that he reads to himself sometimes before bed, but they are easy readers, like level 1 or 2. He doesn't like the ones with too many words, even if it's one of his favorite "subjects". He had a Star Wars one that he got through several chapters on his own and then gave up and asked me to read the rest to him because there were too many words and too many hard words.

It's funny how opposite dd is. She was never in school and never learned sight reading, but I think she might also just be more reading inclined. She reads to herself a lot. She just finished reading through a big book of "Dick and Jane" stories from the library and she asked me, "Even though I already finished the book, can I read through it again? I love this book!" She is moving through the phonics pages faster than him and sometimes she even corrects him or jumps in with the word before he gets a chance to, so I have to make her leave the room.

So Glad that the pointing helped :D It makes me happy to hear that!

DD also leisure reads on a MUCH easier level than her schoolwork - I think that is good. I read somewhere that "overlearning" is an important part of basic reading & math skills - so I'm always happy if she reinforces & enjoys something she's already good at.

So glad to hear you're doing better today.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:42 pm 

Hmmm. Another thing to work with dgs on. His brain and his finger are never in the same spot! I wonder if it's from watching others read faster and their fingers are not stopping on each word? I dunno but thanks for mentioning that. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:37 am 

They emailed me back with the results of his dyslexia test. They said he shows many characteristics of dyslexia and needs help. The test was a free test by the Dynaread program. Their reading program is $30 a month for 12 months. It's legitimate and they do have grants available if you can't afford it.

But does anyone have experience with dyslexia or a kid with dyslexia characteristics? Is dyslexia something you have to do a special reading program for, or can you help them at home and have them become a successful reader?

I am using the "Developing Oculuar Motor" book to do eye exercises for reversals.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:44 am 

Oh, I just read that eye exercises don't help dyslexia, because it's not an eye problem, it's a problem with the brain processing. And apparently it's a lot more than just reversals. I have a lot of reading to do.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:34 pm 

Check out "Why Johnny Can't Read" from the library. It has helped me SOO much in understanding this issue. I know I promote it often, but it is such a great book on this topic.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:36 pm 

My library doesn't have it. I could see about an inter library loan. I think they do that. Does it address dyslexia symptoms?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:57 pm 

If you PM me your address, Lisa, I'll be happy to mail you my copy. Media Mail is really cheap (much cheaper than what libraries pay- and sometimes charge- for I-L-L).

The book most definitely addresses dyslexia & things that seem to be dyslexia.

(It has been such a huge help to me in understanding how to teach reading that I *wish* I could buy one for everyone! : )

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next