It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Immersion or bites?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:09 pm 

In thinking about tackling the things in life, do you tend to embrace the "stick with one thing til it's accomplished" way of thinking or "take a bite or two of several things at once" way of thinking?

It may be different for different thing but part of my thinking goes to Biggest Loser for Losing weight and the "job" of learning a language at some firms. In talking to someone that was learning a language well yet not going some place where the language is spoken, I was interested to learn that their JOB at work was studying the target language. Eight hours a day was dedicated to some sort of exposure to the language - listening, writing, speaking, translating. Apprenticing is another example of the first way of learning.

OTOH - it would be difficult to do that in the school setting, wouldn't it? You wouldn't teach 6-8 hours of algebra until it's mastered.

Also in running the home - you couldn't spend all day every day in one aspect of home care.

MY POINT? ;-) I'm trying to think outside the box in how to tackle the things I need to accomplish.

Post subject: Re: Immersion or bites?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:11 pm 

I think it also depends on the person. I by nature read 3-4 books at a time, tend to do bites of cleaning around the house, unless I have a need to get one area 100% done right away. I do prefer though to watch one show, and not channel surf on commercials...

OTOH, when I was in school, I would much rather have had one, maybe two classes a day/week/semester, so that I could stay in the area of study and really learn it. If I had been homeschooled I would have rather immersed in a topic, even if that meant algebra for 8 hours (which in reality, I never spent 8 hours at one time, studying anything and still don't. I would have preferred to study algebra one day/week/month, until I understood it, and then move onto something else. Even if that meant, really working at the new idea within a subject for 1/2 hour, hour - and then letting my brain ponder it, relax enough to shift around things and not stop it and go directly to another subject matter. Having the space to let new ideas simmer, sort, make necessary shifts helps me to learn. Now, if you gave me the opportunity to pop around the algebra with a book I enjoyed, or some kind of art project, I tend to be able to do both and keep on processing the algebra. If you gave me a topic I did not like, or had a lot of memorization of names/dates... then my brain shifted to that and the algebra part shut down. I think I'd learn a language better through immersion for sure.

My husband problem solves most while tinkering with his cars. He can be rebuilding an engine and solving some other problem in life. We both do the same in our sleep.

Post subject: Re: Immersion or bites?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:03 pm 

I tend to agree with Pam, it really does depend on the person and the circumstances. In school I would have loved being in my health occupations course or science program all day but the other subjects, the ones I didn't like I would rather take a bite at a time. I think that would hold true if I were homeschooled as well and there are probably some who homeschool right now like that. Both of my kids tell me they like the way courses are done in college. classes for certain subject M, W and others T, Th. I'm do the same thing with dealing with my home. There are certain things I'll get in there and do till it's done and there are certain things (like cleaning the bathroom) that I'll put off as long as I can. I know this doesn't help answer your question, at least not directly, but I think you're really hitting the nail on the head so to speak. Homeschooling is about doing it the way you want.