It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:09 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Transition from private to homeschool
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:02 pm 
We ended the year in a private school. We have a residual balance for last year's tuition. I've been off so paying down the balance in full has been problematic. I have worked with the school and so far it has been fine. Until we asked them to release my daughter's records as to enroll her in public school.

The response from the head Master is No - not until we pay down the entire balance owed. my question is - Is that legal? We have a good relationship with the school as I was their volunteer gym teacher last year as well as a lunch server/monitor. My other children have attended there in the past and have a long history with them.

Also, do we need school records to home school our younger two children?

Without the school records, we cannot register our daughter. We need some help.

Post subject: Re: Transition from private to homeschool
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:58 pm 

That is the way it is here in my little town of CO. Until the balance is paid in full, no records released.

You do not need school records to homeschool, so no problem there. Just check your state's laws on submitting your "Intent to Homeschool" with the school district - or where ever the state requires.
There is very little info most states require by law. We have to give parent names, student names, address, age of student (not grade), how many days of schooling (most just put whatever the public school does, whether you follow their schedule or not. That is it for us.

Are you intending to homeschool or put your dd into the public school system?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:32 pm 

If you're homeschooling, why would you need records?

It seems to me that the public schools cannot refuse your kid - with or without records (if public school is your choice). I transitioned to public schools as a child from a non-accredited private school. I was told I would have to take an admission test, but was put at the grade level my Mom said I should be at. When I performed well there, they decided no test was necessary. That is probably what will happen with your kid(s) if you just take them to pub. school without the records & enroll them

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:49 pm 

Location: The O.C. -- 7 miles from D'land, 7 miles from the beach
I think the school is trying to make sure that they get the balance owed to them. They have something you want, so you're more likely to make paying them a priority to get the records.

How much more is owed? You say you've been "off"... laid off? On vacation? Is getting another job for a short time impossible? It seems likely to me that you'll have to figure out a way to pay that bill soon.

In the meantime you can always choose to homeschool that daughter, too. That way you won't have to worry about the records! You don't *need* records, but they're nice to have. The only time it really counts is in high school (9th grade and up in most places) since colleges are going to want to see a transcript.

I am a retired homeschooler with brilliant beautiful Godly boys who please and surprise me every day. I live with my sweet hubby of 22 years. Life changes all the time, but God has blessed us with the ability to keep our eyes on His prize.