It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:57 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Newbie: do I need to pump the brakes or just do it?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:13 pm 

Hi everyone! I live in Tx (north of Dallas) and my children are 2.5 yrs & 1.5 yrs old.

I realize I'm "starting early" but I'm excited & nervous & intimidated by the reality of homeschooling as I'm a product of public education. I know I will end up going eclectic eventually but in the beginning I think *I* need structure so I know I'm not missing anything. I'm very tempted to purchase curriculum now (looking at Konos, TOG or FIAR) but my logical side says that would be foolish as I could change my mind, there could be updates, and I keep hearing you don't need curriculum in the beginning. Yet I still feel that strong desire to begin learning the process myself to alleviate some of the intimidation.

I'm the type of person that likes a plan, makes to do list & pro's and cons comparison list, etc. However the idea of setting up a classroom at home is NOT my preference. I believe you don't need curriculum in the beginning but I think I need it for my own peace of mind. I'm more nervous about these beginning fundamental years (teaching a child to read?!) then I am about the middle school & high school years! I welcome your input and is this normal to feel this way? Does anyone have experience with Konos, TOG or FIAR?

Post subject: Re: Newbie: do I need to pump the brakes or just do it?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:09 pm 

Welcome!

The first thing I'd say is not to worry. You're already "homeschooling" your children! Everything you do and they do is educational in so me way, right? They're learning the basics of living in a family.

I think if you went with FIAR (actually it would be Before FIAR for your kid, and go ahead and start now. You'll get a feel for what FIAR is and get your toes in the water. It's inexpensive compared to most and also give you a feel for putting together some of your own stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:57 pm 
Site Owner

Welcome, Bethanie! Have you looked through the links on our home page? http://www.homeschoolchristian.com

There are lots of articles there to encourage you and give you more ideas. :0)

Meanwhile, FIAR is great! We absolutely loved it when the kids were small. It is very gentle, and yet, the children learn much. It's easy to implement! I definitely recommend this!!

A terrific book for teaching your children to read is "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons."

Now all this being said, relax!!! Enjoy your little ones! They'll be big before you know it. Now is the time to cuddle on the sofa and read lots of books together, build with blocks, play in the park, gather leaves, look at bugs, and play in the bathtub with measuring cups. You've been homeschooling since they were born, and you'll just be continuing as they get older. You can do this!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:06 pm 

Thanks! Lol, I know I need to relax so thanks for the reminder, you are so right! Glad to hear two votes for FIAR. Yes, I've been looking thru this site & googling busy bags. My 2.5 year old loves to play games so the busy bags are a big hit right now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:08 am 

Agree with everyone so far. Another vote for FIAR HERE. Loved, loved, loved it. My 17 year old daughter says that her FIAR years in K-1st are some of favorite homeschool memories. We now participate in Classical Conversations. If I had to do homeschooling over, I would have started in that when it came to my town 6 years ago. This is our 3rd year in it and I see the benefit of starting when your kids are younger.

I highly recommend reading the following books to learn more about classical education.

The Well Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer (I read this when dd was in 3rd grade and LOVED the ideas behind classical education, but had no idea how to implement at home.)

Echoes of Celebration by Leigh Bortins

Classical Education Made Approachable (one of my favorites)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:47 pm 

Yes, I am very excited to do classical conversations once they are old enough. I've heard very positive things about it. Thanks for the book recommendations & another vote for FIAR. Has anyone used abc Jesus loves me?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:12 pm 
Site Owner

If you are interested in classical, we have a LOT of resources here for it! I particularly love Laura Berquist's "Designing Your Own Classical Curriculum." See this page for lots more about classical:
http://homeschoolChristian.com/curricul ... /index.php