It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:48 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: The Beginner's Bible for Toddlers by Carolyn Nabors Baker
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:36 pm 

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/dp/0849912202/?tag=homeschoolchr-20"><i>The Beginner's Bible</i> Amazon link</a>

We recently finished this one - Little One read all 220 pages BY HERSELF : )

I purchased this one when she was a baby, and discovered that it was more tiny-kid friendly than the popular Beginner's Bible I already had.

This edition had fewer words per picture (usually about 15) and has a gentle text (they never really explain exactly what happened to Goliath, or to the people who put Daniel in the Lion's den, for example). As a two-year-old, my Little One could sit and listen to 100 pages at a time!

When she finished introductory intensive phonics, this was the obvious choice for early reading. A nice combination of easy, common words, and words that required sounding out (like protected, Bethlehem, carpenter). Each story was 5 to 6 pages long- just the right size for a reading lesson. And, familiarity with the stories provided just enough predictability to help, without so much predictability that she could just "read the pictures."

These stories are kid-friendly, just the right level of difficulty for a child just finishing phonics. The pictures are delightful and gentle.

I liked that we got practice sounding out new, challenging words - but not too much. I also liked that we are beginning to really master the content of the Bible stories common for young children.

I can tell that Little One liked it not only by her enthusiasm for it, but also because the soft binding is pretty much in shreds (you may want to get a hardcover).

Beware - there is more than one book by this title with a similar looking cover. Make sure you get the one that is 220 pages long by Carolyn Nabors Baker.

This is a great choice for a Baby gift for a new baby, or for any child up to school age. Perfect for new readers.

Post subject: Re: The Beginner's Bible for Toddlers by Carolyn Nabors Bake
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:04 am 

Thanks for sharing. Very useful!