It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:05 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: Can you really homeschool while working?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:10 pm 

I should also mention that our older son does not talk except to say "ga" and "moo". He used to say mama & dada but stopped talking altogether when we brought our little one home from the hospital. I am reading to him & talking with him as much as I can but still no progress at all. I hope by his 2nd birthday he will start speaking. We're both frustrated. I keep waiting anxiously for him to speak but no words yet. I hope this doesn't interfere with homeschooling.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:35 am 
Site Owner

Kelly, I wouldn't worry about your 2 year old not talking. He is listening and understanding though!!! Make sure to be reading to him a lot, and ask him questions about the pictures. "Do you know what that is?" Then give him a chance to answer. If he says anything slightly close, praise him, and then say, "It's a giraffe!" (or whatever)
I have 4 children. Two talked early and two didn't. We thought one of them would NEVER talk! He had a killer pointer finger and would just silently point at whatever he wanted. LOL. He's 17 now and you can't shut him up. Each child speaks when he is ready!!
The one thing you could check is your son's hearing. If he has clogged ears from wax or infections, he would not be able to hear clearly to speak. :0)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:55 am 

If he is frustrated, perhaps you could teach him basic sign language for the things he wants/needs. Be prepared for a child who might speak in full sentences when he does start speaking again. It has happened before. He will talk when ready, If he feels your frustration over it, it could cause him to delay even more. Relax and enjoy the quiet for now. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:39 pm 

I do believe our son is frustrated not being able to speak. I know I am so I definitely need to fix that. Our son is smart & understands what we're telling him but when we ask him, for example "what color is your Clifford dog?", he will stay silent. I noticed he will babble a couple different sounds to himself while he's in his crib playing. I want to teach our baby sign language but I thought our older boy was too old to learn it already. The little one is already responding verbally when we talk to him.

My husband is Peruvian so he talks to them in Spanish and English. I've read that if the child is learning two languages they might take longer to start talking. Maybe that's the case. Anyway I will keep talking and reading to him.

Thank you all for your encouragement.

Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:24 pm 

"My husband is Peruvian so he talks to them in Spanish and English. I've read that if the child is learning two languages they might take longer to start talking. Maybe that's the case. Anyway I will keep talking and reading to him."

Yes! That's true : )

If your doc doesn't think there's any major problem, the language thing could definitely explain it. It can go MUCH more slowly with two or more languages - then click.

For colors, you could do things like "Which two are the same color as each other?" That would let you know if he gets the concept of color.

If he does:

That's right! They're RED! In Spainish thats ROJO!

We do that in Greek a bit - even tho DD doesn't do full immersion with Daddy.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:28 pm 

My dh's family speaks Spanish and his Nephew didn't start talking until he was past 2 yrs old. They were teaching him Spanish and English, as well. But he did start speaking when he was ready and didn't have any problems with speech. I wouldn't worry yet.