It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:39 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Hope for "slow" readers
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:44 pm 

My ds was never one to read. He was 10 before he read his first book all the way through, and it was a picture book. I wondered where had I gone wrong??
He was still sounding out words at that age and it would take so long to get through a sentence that he'd get very frustrated.

Well... after much patience and encouragement, I can now say he is a reader!
He can read what he WANTS to read with ease. He doesn't like assigned reading but when he finds a book on a subject he is interested in, he'll read the entire chapter book (no pictures) in a few days.

If you have a child that is slow to learn to read, don't give up!!! They will get it and they WILL become a better reader in time. If *my* ds can do it, anyone can.
I was really worried about him for the longest time. I don't worry about him anymore.

Post subject: Re: Hope for "slow" readers
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:59 pm 
Site Owner

Yay!!! That's great to hear a victory like this! My ds had a lot of trouble with reading, and eye exercises fixed his issues. See more about that here:
http://homeschoolchristian.com/curricula/specialed/vision.php

Thanks for sharing that encouraging news, Tory!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:20 pm 

My ds was just so easily distracted. He also has a sister that taught herself to read at age 4, so he'd just let her tell him what the words were!

I had to seperate them and keep him in a room with nothing to distract him at all.
Allowing him time to learn and not feel like he wasn't as smart as she was. (He is! He just didn't feel like he was able to compete.)

Also, I read aloud to my dc every single day at lunch time. Every day. We'd go through chapter books above their reading level. I can't tell you how many books we went through that way, I'd read until I was hoarse!
lol!

Then I'd also have a reading time every afternoon. Everyone had to sit quietly and read anything of their choice for 30 minutes a day. I'd set out a large variety and they could choose anything... Ranger Rick magazines, Bob books, Dr. Seuss, you name it.
I kind of miss those days now!! ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:27 am 

That is wonderful, Tory. My ds is 13, and he still does not like to read. He will "if he has to", but will not do it, otherwise. Of course, my dh does not like to read, either.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:22 pm 

I have to thank you for the idea of reading chapter books at lunchtime. I've been doing that every day since I first heard you mention it and it's been fun. Sometimes we end up not caring for the book, sometimes ds is really interested in it and dd isn't (and vice versa), and some books we all really get into and great questions are asked and fun conversations are started.

My ds likes to read books that are easy for him. He just finished a really hard one that he did NOT enjoy, lol, but he made it through and now gets a break with some easier and more enjoyable books before he goes on to another hard one. I told him that eventually those hard books will be easy for him, just like the easy ones used to be hard for him. Dd has been learning her phonograms and is just starting to learn how to read, so we'll see how that goes. I'm a little scared.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:28 pm 

I'm so glad! And you're are very welcome. I actually got the idea from another home school mom!
You're dd will do fine and so will you! I know what you mean about being scared, though, lol! But you'll do great.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:28 pm 

I had a religion teacher years ago who had TWO PhD's. He had a LOT of trouble learning to read as a child. A Baptist Minister took him under his wing & taught him carpentry as a teen - thinking he would never be able to have employment that required reading. Then, at *seventeen* he finally learned to read! Then, decided to go to college. Said Baptist Minister fasted from lunch every day to finance the young man's college. Imagine all that when someone ends up as a seminary professor with two PhD's. It's never too late unless you give up.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:07 am 

My dh didn't learn to read until he went to college at 25. He had to be read his entrance exam for the military to pass and I read his college texts to him. Sometimes I wasn't available and he'd try on his own. Eventually he learned to read for himself and now he reads as well as most adults and comprehends better than me - an avid reader since I was 11.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:26 am 

My Savannah was the same way. While she is still not a huge fan of reading, when something sparks her interest, she reads!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:17 pm 

My younger ds was slower to catch on to reading. Audio books were a God-send! He is a VERY auditory learner - as is my dh, and always had an audio book going....still does. He reads quite well, but is not a "fast" reader....he reads e.v.e.r.y. word. He still prefers audio books and he STILL keeps one going almost all the time!

Everyone has their own way and their own style of learning and reading. Some are "early bloomers", some are "late bloomers," and others are just "bloomers"!!! :lol: They come to it, though, in their own way and their own time. Never give up!

I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me. (Phil. 4:13)