It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:50 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Need HS Co-op organization tips.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:28 pm 

I'd like to start a co-op this fall using living books for the core of our learning and KONOS Obedience unit study. If this idea doesn't come to pass until January, that's fine, too, as I may need some additional time to plan this out in order to do a good job.

This will be a working co-op, with each mom/dad participating each week, being responsible for one segment of learning that takes place.

From those of you who have participated in a co-op before, what have you found helpful and beneficial to your co-op vs. what have you found not to work? I'd love to gain some perspective from any veterans. :)

Post subject: Re: Need HS Co-op organization tips.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:41 pm 
Site Owner

We have a couple articles on HSC that may help you. Take a look at these.
http://homeschoolchristian.com/allabout/editorials/support/supcoops.php - Co-ops, Pros and Cons

http://homeschoolchristian.com/allabout/editorials/support/supstartcoop.php - Starting a Co-op

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:19 pm 

CindyLouWho wrote:
I'd like to start a co-op this fall using living books for the core of our learning and KONOS Obedience unit study. If this idea doesn't come to pass until January, that's fine, too, as I may need some additional time to plan this out in order to do a good job.

This will be a working co-op, with each mom/dad participating each week, being responsible for one segment of learning that takes place.

From those of you who have participated in a co-op before, what have you found helpful and beneficial to your co-op vs. what have you found not to work? I'd love to gain some perspective from any veterans. :)

In general, mandating that the parents help out. To me, "co op" means cooperative learning, and that includes mom and dad (or other extended family members) helping out, too and just dropping off the kids and going out shopping or coffee while you are running around ragged.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:30 pm 

I'd have an age limit. We had a lady that "used" the co-op for babysitting. Her dc were too young to do anything but sit in the daycare. (aged 1 and 2).
She was supposed to be a helper. It was wide known that she did nothing. She was assigned to be my helper for 2 classes and she was never there. I'd find her on the phone behind the building sometimes! Most times, she just drove off. When I complained I was told that they knew she did this!
grrrr... If they don't have at least ONE school-aged child, then they don't need to be in the co-op. The daycare is there for those with babies that ARE actually helping.