It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Changing our reading schedule
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:52 pm 

I love Sonlight, but I think they have gone mad with their reading schedule. Ds has been reading about 4 chapters a day. That's a huge jump from last year. They are short chapters, but still. We've been doing two in the morning and two in the afternoon, but with all the other subjects and stuff we do in the day, it is a big source of stress for us. He doesn't read slow either. I think he is doing great with reading and is doing pretty good with his speed. I thought maybe he needed to pick up his speed and then it would be easier, but it is still stressful, he hates it and I hate it.

So, I am chopping the reading in half and already feel a huge weight lifted. I don't think it will affect his progress in reading. He's already doing great. It's just the amount that is weighing us down and it shouldn't be like this. He's not enjoying the story when all he can think about is how much he has to read. I can't imagine 3rd graders in PS are reading 4 chapters a day.

Am I crazy, or is that a lot of chapters to read each day?

Post subject: Re: Changing our reading schedule
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:06 pm 

For some 8yos, that's a fine amount but for my 8yo, that just won't happen yet. She's a struggling reader with vision issues. I don't see any problem with cutting out some reading. As long as he's getting a good amount each day, he'll be fine. Whenever we've hit a place of frustration, I've taken a step back and looked at the workload. Sometimes it's just attitude and other times, it's too much or the wrong thing. One of the beauties of homeschooling is choosing the pace!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:16 pm 

I think it's great that you are willing to pull back some when it's just too much. I know of parents that no matter what... their dc have to do whateer it is, AS IS!! No questions, no arguments. The only thing they learn is to hate school.
You know your ds better than anyone. If you think the reading is too much, and it makes your school day better for him, then by all means... let some of it go.
:)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:49 pm 

I think you did a wise thing. You don't want him to learn to hate reading. Do you talk about what he read? Comprehension is much more important than speed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:41 pm 

Your taking this stress away may allow him to read even more, for pleasure sake. I know that as much as I LOVE to read, the pressure of someone dictating how much made reading a chore and no longer a sought after enjoyment. He will have lots of opportunity to read the rest of his life and lifing this burden must bring much joy to him. Wise Momma!!