It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:56 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: Benefits of Coconut oil
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:29 pm 

I have used the Tropical Traditions and find it has a more coconut-y taste than the one by Nutiva. Garden of Life also makes a good one.

I use coconut oil for popping popcorn, any frying, spead on toast and topped with ground cinnamon, making pizza dough, in place of butter (cookies and such), and so on. I am not a huge fan of coconut by any means, but have been using coconut oil for a few years now and am pleased with the results (both taste and overall product). I have also started using a homemade deodorant that is a combination of coconut oil, arrowroot, baking soda, and essential oil (I use eucalyptus). It works fantastically for me. It doesn't prevent sweating, as no deodorant will, but it keeps me drier and fresher smelling (especially during sports) than natural spray deodorants like Dr. Burt's and Aubrey Organics.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:21 pm 

TKD mom, I'd like to hear your recipe for deodorant.
I have used coconut oil by itself, but it's a little oilier than I'd like to have it, and have also used a rock crystal, but they no longer sell them here. Currently, I am using an enzyme spray, but am looking at ways to keep the cost down.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:27 pm 

I used this recipe - http://hihorosie.blogspot.com/2012/07/d ... orant.html I used 6T. coconut oil and cut the baking soda by a tablespoon. I also used 10 drops of eucalyptus essential oil. I do have to keep mine in the refrigerator due to my climate (otherwise the coconut oil does not stay solid). I use a spoon to scrape it into flakes, scoop up a wee bit of that with my fingers, and apply. I keep it in a small glass jar (like the size of a small baby food jar). I've been using it for well over a month now and have at least another month's worth in the jar, so it's definitely far cheaper than spray deodorants or other natural deodorants.