It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:32 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: Another new diet.
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:00 pm 

Getting thrown in with the athletes makes me feel like a fish out of water. And i have no desire to become like them. I just want to feel comfy in my skin again, AND my clothes! For the moment i am pretty firmly set on veganism. I'm not gonna be anxious about being given non-vegan foods - i'm sure i'll even have the occasional hamburger or clam chowder - even my mochas aren't vegan, yet. (wheels turning)

Kind of the point to the macros thing is something McDougall says: If you want to change the composition of your body you need to "change the composition of your foods".

Unfortunately, everybody's idea about the best combination percentages of protein/fat/carb and fiber are wildly different. At least the caloric needs seem pretty much in line! :)

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:15 pm 

Tory wrote:
I went to running board for an update. The lady there started out high protien and then it was gradually lowered as the weeks went on. She was saying how very hard it was to add so much protien! And she eats meat! But she did as best as she could.. Now she's saying it works. She's lost some weight and inches 4 weeks in.

She is using a nutritionist for this.. Its a 12 week program.

It's hard to talk about this with my mom. She keeps saying (over and OVER) that "when SHE went vegan" she just ate a 1/2 c of beans with a cup of rice and lots of veggies "which ALL have protein in them". She's one of those people that make up their mind and just "do it"! At least that's how she talks. Being around here now, i can see that she likes to experiment and try new recipes as much as i do. I have a hard time believing she ate plain beans and rice everyday for lunch and dinner. Hmmmmm. She dropped 30# in the first 2 months.

Now, i am the first to admit that i can be a junk-food vegan. Those stinkin' peanut pretzels are too easy and too good! Dh has blue corn chips around all the time. And of course there's honey in my coffee, etc. THIS is where i need to pay attention to the "composition" of my foods! I slather oils and sauces on everything using vegan "butter" and vegenaise with abandon. That's gotta quit.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:50 pm 

How are you with sugar? Do you try to use honey, or white sugar? I'm asking because my mom did Thm for an upcoming wedding as her motivation.. And she lostt 55 lbs.

Not trying to sway you to Thm... Because diet is such a personal choice.. But cutting out sugar really helped my mom. She was a coke drinker, and getting away from them dropped 20 lbs quickly. I'm trying to get my sister to give up sweet tea... I don't see that happening! But I'm afraid for her health. Sweets.. I love them! But I feel so much better without sugar in my diet.. Not that I am completely sugar free.. But I try.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:03 pm 

I only use sugar/honey in my coffee. And i have less than 1c a day. I do plan on making a peach pie next saturday and it will have sugar in it but sugar is not my downfall. GREASE AND SALT are my life! :geek: This week i am focusing on severely limiting my grease (no chips, no "butter", no oil). And i am going to try to track my food.

It's still cool enuf here that i'm going to make some soups this week to get those veggies in but i will try to stay away from the breads, too. We LOVE to dunk bread into our soup to soak up the juices. I'm just going to ditch bread for the next week or so.

The plan is to be more mindful of what i'm putting into my mouth. When i read that EIGHT of those pb pretzels i love cost 140 calories.... :shock:

But, today.... i didn't sleep much (about 4 hr) and i have a headache. :( I'm also trying to "shrink" my tummy so i had a vegan shake for breakfast and plan another 2 more times today. I'll have dinner with everyone else.

After this week i'll see where i am with the macros and adjust. Well, that's the PLAN.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:08 pm 

Consider sprouted breads, and sourdough breads if you must have bread. (which I do! I love bread!)

True sprouted and sourdough breads are more carb friendly.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:26 pm 

Sis, according to this article on new research into salt intake, salty foods should actually make you lose weight.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/08/heal ... html?&_r=1

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:47 pm 

Well, if you're a cosmonaut with someone else controlling your calorie intake (and if the study is right) that's possible.

But, the article also says that more salt = more appetite & more calorie intake if not controlled.

Strangely, it's a well-established fact from ancient Christian resources on Asceticism. Monks who wanted to control their food intake would also greatly limit their salt to reduce their appetites.

And, McDougall also makes this point - on his MWL program, reduction of salt is recommended for the same reason.

Like Solomon said, There's nothing new under the sun! :geek:

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:20 pm 

Briva wrote:
Sis, according to this article on new research into salt intake, salty foods should actually make you lose weight.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/08/heal ... html?&_r=1

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Works for ME! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: