It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:04 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: Another new diet.
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:27 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
Most of the older exchange diets were based upon 1950's serving sizes - the apples were those small ones called "lunchbox" apples nowadays that come in a bag. the online source is probably talking about one that's larger.

The old diabetic exchanges would say something like "1 apple (2" diameter)" to clarify.

But, it seems like just a new way to market an old plan - and, of course, make more money off it!

219 g of protein is preposterous. For anyone.

I just picked apple. The counts for everything were way off. Food is always going to be a money-maker. I don't really have an issue with these guys since it's a LOT of help and info (for non-vegans anyway!) from highly educated people for $10 a month. Hey, these young whipper-snappers gotta learn it somehow!

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:32 pm 

Sis, no he's just learning about it, too.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:41 pm 

They *charge* for something that's free everywhere else on the internet? :o

My Mama used to say "the fool & his money are soon parted" :geek:

I guess if they're willing to charge for it, there must be somebody out there who actually PAYS them for the otherwise free advice? :?

And, it sounds like DANGEROUS health advice, to boot. I don't suppose that they list ANY valid credentials like an RD license?

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:00 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:

I guess if they're willing to charge for it, there must be somebody out there who actually PAYS them for the otherwise free advice? :?

And, it sounds like DANGEROUS health advice, to boot. I don't suppose that they list ANY valid credentials like an RD license?

Yes, they do have credentials. The RD has her master's in nutrition. The CSO has his PhD in nutrition sciences and BS in biochemistry.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:02 pm 

As i'm looking for the nutrition info online i am finding that every website has WAY different info than the others. I guess i'll just go by the labels on the foos themselves - except for the fresh fruits and veggies. I'll have to find a book or one website to stick to.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:09 pm 

Sis wrote:
Anna1111 wrote:

Yes, they do have credentials. The RD has her master's in nutrition. The CSO has his PhD in nutrition sciences and BS in biochemistry.

I hate to be annoying (but I'm SO good at it ; ) - is it from a reputable institution?

I cannot IMAGINE anyone with a reputable degree telling folks to eat 200+ g of protein per DAY. The very thought of choking all that down makes me feel a little queasy!

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:28 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
Sis wrote:
Anna1111 wrote:

I hate to be annoying (but I'm SO good at it ; ) - is it from a reputable institution?

I cannot IMAGINE anyone with a reputable degree telling folks to eat 200+ g of protein per DAY. The very thought of choking all that down makes me feel a little queasy!

Well, girlfriend, i imagine you haven't been hanging out in the world of bodybuilders? Protein is king! Even a sedentary person is supposed to eat like 150g of protein a day (but depending on their weight). The vegan bodybuilding protein level is impossible imo, at least without supplements or something.

The levels of each macro are done by computer computations. I was hoping someone would get to me with some personal info - and maybe they will but at this point i'm looking towards a different target set. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:11 pm 

Yeah, but I DID work at a health food store. And we had "bodybuilder" clients. And I saw how willing they were to destroy their health in any way imaginable to be "cute" - I think it's just the masculine version of Anorexia Nervosa.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:29 am 

Anna1111 wrote:
Yeah, but I DID work at a health food store. And we had "bodybuilder" clients. And I saw how willing they were to destroy their health in any way imaginable to be "cute" - I think it's just the masculine version of Anorexia Nervosa.

Lol, I agree. I remember a fad that started when I was in highschool. The football coach was discussing 'pre-digested' protein with the players in class. We all wanted to know who pre-digested it. I heard it tasted terrible.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:54 am 

I went to running board for an update. The lady there started out high protien and then it was gradually lowered as the weeks went on. She was saying how very hard it was to add so much protien! And she eats meat! But she did as best as she could.. Now she's saying it works. She's lost some weight and inches 4 weeks in.

She is using a nutritionist for this.. Its a 12 week program.