It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:03 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Another new diet.
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:38 pm 

:mrgreen:

I know ya'll are rolling your eyes at me but ONE day i'm gonna be on here telling you about some fabulous way of eating and/or exercising that will rock your world! :P

I like new and i like planning and i like researching. I think that's why i try these things all the time. If i find one that works on all levels i may stop and stay for awhile. This one is intriguing to me on a "6 degrees of separation" level. LOL Not very scientific, i guess

We have a customer at the bank that comes in nearly everyday. The other girls i work with have known him and his family for years. He recently went on a 30 day(?) trial with this Avatar Nutrition thing and he is so excited about it. He likes to talk about it and show us pics of not only himself but others that are trying it. I've heard him talking about it 3x now and this time i got more info. One of the pics he showed was a girl in her wedding dress that couldn't be zipped. There was a 5" gap! She tried this plan and in 30 days could zip that sucker up! I mentioned that i like to eat vegan and he said "there's a plan for that!" and i started paying more attention. :ugeek: I'll give it a whirl if i can figure it out but here's the fun part:

I found out that this customer is the brother of one of the 3 founders. She has a master's in nutrition and is a registered dietician (if that matters to anyone). So, i went to their website and started checking it out. I found Katie Coles on fb and put a question out there for her to answer (still waiting). BUT.... i saw that my GRANDDAUGHTER is "friends" with her on fb! My 16yo dgd!

I messaged dgd and asked her about it and was told that Katie's mom was dgd's teacher in middle school and dgd is also friends with Katie's niece. She said she's talked to Katie about dieting before. I think that's just FUN. :)

Post subject: Re: Another new diet.
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:08 pm 

Ok. After researching it quickly i find that it would be ridiculously difficult to do this eating vegan. And, most of these people are bodybuilders and i do NOT relate to them. But, i did get some ideas and am willing to count macros for awhile. I'm gathering the info and am making my goals. To get started immediately i will have to be limited to the foods i have and know but, because of Anna's very smart and common sense approach to menu planning, i should be up and running shortly. :)

The proteins are higher than one would "normally" eat so i am supplementing with a Vegan protein shake. I'll be counting calories, protein, fat, carbs and fiber, tracking my food (at least at first), and upping my exercise by about a million. Well, that's the plan. I feel pretty motivated right now but we all know how that goes. sigh

My nephews wedding is in Aug and i would love love LOVE to look stunning in the wedding pics. :) I am planning (i LOVE to plan!) to reward myself for weight loss, and/or compliance to my plan, by doing things towards being "stunning" like ear pierced, hair trimmed, new clothes, pedi, spa day .... :)

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:43 pm 

Counting macros is a new thing I've been hearing a lot about lately. I don't pretend to understand it.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:38 pm 

Tory wrote:
Counting macros is a new thing I've been hearing a lot about lately. I don't pretend to understand it.

Well, come to find out it's just keeping track of your carb, proteins and fats. ;) Alcohol is a "shadow macro" that can also be counted.

There are different "targets" to aim for depending on the plan, the philosophy, the goals. I guess i was counting macros back in my Atkins days. LOL

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:09 pm 

You can figure out the calories by multiplying the grams of said "macros". A gram of protein or carbs equals 4 calories, so 20g of protein will be 80 calories. Same with carbs. BUT, a gram of fat is times NINE. puh

So, if you need to eat 1500 calories to have a decent caloric deficit so you can lose weight (i'm using my own numbers here), i'd need to figure out how to eat to get maximum benefits. Yeah - i'd better stop there. That's about where my knowledge ends. ;)

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:16 pm 

The ladies on the running board I'm on discuss it at length and I'm clearly over my head! Ds is doing body building and he's also been trying to hold discussions with me about macros... Ahh.. !!

It's a lot to get used to but may be worth it to me to learn.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:30 pm 

From y'all's description, and from a quick google, it sounds like a rewarmed version of the "Diabetic & Dietetic Exchange Diet" of the 1950's

You simply count your servings in each major food category - so many starches/sugars, so many proteins, so many fats per day.

They try to make it sound fancier & more "modern" or "scientific" but the method is the same. 15 g carb = 1 starch/sugar. etc. But, that's the way it's always been. They just USED to think it was easier to measure a slice of bread than to count 15 g carbs - but since the new food labels, I suppose some folks think it's easier to count the other way.

Buy a Richard Simmons "Deal a Meal" from the 80's - and you have a simpler version of the same thing ; )

ETA: here's a handy-dandy list of the type I mentioned
https://www.uaex.edu/publications/pdf/FSHED-86.pdf

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:56 pm 

Tory wrote:
The ladies on the running board I'm on discuss it at length and I'm clearly over my head! Ds is doing body building and he's also been trying to hold discussions with me about macros... Ahh.. !!

It's a lot to get used to but may be worth it to me to learn.

Yeah -it's definitely the "new thing" for bodybuilders and other high octane lifestyles (like runners).

What i haven't gotten yet is how to figure out what "targets" each PERSON needs to hit and why. Like i said, they wanted vegans to have like 219g of protein with only 47 carbs - not gonna happen. The protein was that high because plant based proteins are harder to digest (is the explanation i got). Does your ds know how to determine what macros you need to hit?

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:10 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
From y'all's description, and from a quick google, it sounds like a rewarmed version of the "Diabetic & Dietetic Exchange Diet" of the 1950's

You simply count your servings in each major food category - so many starches/sugars, so many proteins, so many fats per day.

They try to make it sound fancier & more "modern" or "scientific" but the method is the same. 15 g carb = 1 starch/sugar. etc. But, that's the way it's always been. They just USED to think it was easier to measure a slice of bread than to count 15 g carbs - but since the new food labels, I suppose some folks think it's easier to count the other way.

Buy a Richard Simmons "Deal a Meal" from the 80's - and you have a simpler version of the same thing ; )

ETA: here's a handy-dandy list of the type I mentioned
https://www.uaex.edu/publications/pdf/FSHED-86.pdf

Yes, that is counting macros. :) The interesting thing with that chart is the counts seem to be WAY off compared to what's online. ???

Here's an apple on the chart:
protein
carb 15
fat
fiber 2
calories 60

Online source:
protein 0
carb 24
fat 0
fiber 4.4
calories 91

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:21 pm 

Most of the older exchange diets were based upon 1950's serving sizes - the apples were those small ones called "lunchbox" apples nowadays that come in a bag. the online source is probably talking about one that's larger.

The old diabetic exchanges would say something like "1 apple (2" diameter)" to clarify.

But, it seems like just a new way to market an old plan - and, of course, make more money off it!

219 g of protein is preposterous. For anyone.

ETA - to find recommendations, just google "diabetic exchange 1500 calorie diet" (or use the # of calories you're aiming for.

You should get something like this
http://www.fammed.usouthal.edu/Guides&J ... gGuide.pdf