It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:33 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: If you ate the same thing every day
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:58 pm 

If you had the same thing for breakfast, lunch and dinner every single day, what would it be? Preferably, healthy things. And I don't mean, eating the same thing for all 3 meals. I mean the same breakfast, the same lunch, and the same dinner each day.

I thought of this after reading something in a magazine the other day. I was in the dentist waiting room and was skimming a magazine and guess who was in it? Good ol' Dr. Oz! He was giving weight loss tips and most of it was the same old stuff I've heard before, but he did say one thing that was kind of new to me. It's a little common sense, but kind of profound at the same time. He said to go on auto pilot. You don't sit there and ask yourself, "What do I feel like eating?" because that can get you into trouble. You eat what you know you like and is healthy. If you like oatmeal for breakfast, just eat the oatmeal. Don't sit there and dwell over whether you feel like the oatmeal or not, just eat it. Before you decide you feel like bacon and eggs. This is a big problem I have. I love my store brand muesli with some chopped fruit and a little almond milk. It's super healthy and delicious. But for whatever reason, I decided I didn't feel like it anymore and it's been sitting on the shelf, while I either eat nothing or eat something less healthy. If I'm on autopilot and just eat it, then I don't have to worry about getting into trouble. I did that today. I didn't necessary "feel" like it, but I ate it. It was healthy and satisfying. I think this must be a cultural thing, living in a culture of too many choices. Other cultures eat the same few foods, I think, and don't have a million different options for breakfast. Not that I have to have muesli every day, but pick one or two healthy things and just make it a routine to eat it.

Then I got to thinking about simplifying my meals, to where I eat a lot of the same foods. It would be cheaper, easier, less time consuming, etc. For instance, I have my muesli every morning for breakfast, have a salad with some protein in it for lunch every day, and have some form of grain and beans for dinner. Add lots of fruit and veggies. I even thought of designating certain grains to certain nights. Like Mon is rice, tue Quinoa, etc. Or even better, do it weekly and make big batches! Mix and match a little, change the seasonings and sauces, etc. but keep to the same few healthy foods. My life is busy and stressful enough. I like the idea of not putting a lot of thought into what I eat, meal planning, shopping, etc.

So I was wondering, if you had the same simple and healthy meals everyday, what would YOU choose?

Post subject: Re: If you ate the same thing every day
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:45 pm 

living in a culture of too many choices

Boy! Ain't THAT the truth!!!!! I was thinking *I* wrote this post until I saw "muesli". :mrgreen: For me it's oatmeal or granola.

When I was in jr hi and high school I ate the same thing for every breakfast and lunch. Mom made dinner which I ate dutifully, and then I snacked in the evening - dry cereal, crackers, junk. I had 2 Ding Dongs and a Pepsi for breakfast and a hot dog, small bag of chips and milk for lunch EVERY school day.

Yes, I'd like to do that. I love this thread! I need to add some fruit to my breakfast but it would be oatmeal or granola for breakfast. I like soup for lunch but I might like to change that to dinner. I can sneak more veggies in for the kids that way. ;-) But, soup is very changeable and you still fall into the "too much to choose from" rut. I'd have to pick a few soups and stick to those. I get SICK to DEATH of salads - the lettuce kinds. I like your grain night idea, tho'. Let's see, potatoes, barley, rice, pasta, quinoa, couscous, different beans with them like lentils, black, pinto, lima, edamame. :mrgreen:

I would do this for the different seasons. Have sandwiches in place of soup for warm weather. I can't wait to hear more ideas. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:48 pm 

Just to show how I fall into the "too many choices" chasm, here is what I was doing for "summer" earlier today:

Lunchmeat, cheese, mustard and mayo, lettuce
Pringles singles
Potato salad, macaroni salad, tabouli; chicken/pasta/celery/bell/peas/ranch;
Salad-in-a-jar: taco salad; ceasar; cobb; layered; Nicoise: http://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-id ... d-recipe/; mixed lettuce, berries, shred carrots, sl almonds, mandarin oranges, vinaigrette; feta, walnut, romaine, pear and pepper; romaine, pink lady apple, scallion, feta w 1T evoo, ½ lime, 1t honey, s and garlic pdr; “Staple” salad: romaine, baby toms, cuke, scallion, avo, bell, w 1T evoo, lemon/lime, s,p,garlic pdr – can add corn, chickpeas, black beans, feta, other cheese, chicken, tofu, chopped deli whatever…;
Cookies
Frozen sandwiches: Pb&j – jelly goes between 2 pb; buttered bread filled with chicken, sh cheese and a little mayo; buttered bread with ham, mayo, mustard, then cheese; (keep “sandwich kits” of lettuce, tomatoes, sprouts, to throw in)
Sandwich kits: containers with fresh spinach, lettuce, sliced bells, sl scallions, sl zuch, sl cuke, msh,
Other containers w: handful of grapes, carrots, celery, radish, hard-boiled eggs, crackers, pretzels,
Cold fried chicken or meatloaf with coop kale salad
Cucumber water; lemonade; limeade;
Broccoli, bacon, almond,
Wraps: chicken, yogurt/mayo, mustard, toasted pecans, dry crans, celery, onion, lemon, sprouts; BLT w chicken; turkey, moz, baby toms, basil or romaine; Italian sub sandwich pinwheels#;
Cottage cheese; cheesestick; individual yogurts;
Pickles, picnic eggs,
Coleslaw, carrot salad,
Hot dogs
bread on a stick, bedder chedder,
tomatoes, red onion, mayo (or hummus) sandwich; avo, sprout, red onion, hummus, tom, cuke sandwich; chicken salad; egg salad; cuke and butter on plain bread; avo, mini toms, romaine leaf, feta crumbles;
crackers, chicken salad, grapes
cold soup: borscht, cucumber,
kabobs: meat, toms, bells, onions, mshr,
melon, berries, fruit salad, rainbow fruit kabob: rasp, grapefruit sq, orange sq, banana, kiwi, blueberry; watermelon, blueberries and pineapple chunks; (use straws or coffee stirrers or skewers); watermelon, pineapple, berries, red grapes, lemon jc;
cold pies like chocolate cream; lemon meringue;
popsicles
watermelon jello or pie? http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/cool ... pie?cpi=36
dips with raw veggie and chipss: ranch, spinach, salsa, bean
M&M’s, cracker jacks,
Smoothies: berries, vanilla yogurt, lemon jc, berry juice, cinnamon; berries, carrots, almond milk; any fruit, plain yogurt, apple or pineapple jc;

Breakfasts: overnight oats (1/4 c oats, ½ c yogurt/milk/water, ½ banana, blueberries/str, honey; frozen waffles with berries/jam;
Trail mix: 1T dry cran, 10 peanuts, 1T choc chips, 10 almonds, 10 cashews, 2T pepitas, 1T sunflower seeds
Grab and go 3 holed containers: fruit, salad, main
* nectarine slices and grapes; garbanzos and baby toms; slices of chicken w crackers and cheese
* pb&j triangles; baby carrots; fish crackers
* crackers with laughing cow cheese triangle; trail mix; fried chicken/ toms/ sliced cuke or zucchini
* fruit salad (no whip); hard-boiled egg; crackers/cheese kabobs on toothpicks: cheese, meat, cheese
* “baby” hot dog octopi with fruit skewers on bed of let; pretzels; brownie
* crackers, meat (summer sausage) and cheese slices, tube of trail mix or granola bar, fresh cuke slices, pasta salad
* bbq chicken legs, bell and carrots strips, baked potato!, cookie
* sandwich, carrots, grapes, pretzels, cookie
* tortilla/s, taco meat (w corn, black beans, green chilies),let, sh cheese, salsa; tortilla chips
* cheese quesadilla, cuke and carrots, granola bar, frozen yogurt squeezer
* Frozen pb&j, granola bar, grapes, pretzels
* cheese and bacon quiches, mini blueberry muffins, strb and yogurt
* “baby sub”, pretzels, veg sticks, granola bar, fruit
* ravioli, carrot and bell sticks w dip, garlic breadsticks
* baby pancakes (sweetness cooked in), bananas and strb, sausage bites
* meatloaf, potato salad, watermelon
* cheeseburger wraps,
* corn dog muffins!, Wrapped salad (romaine leaf w lunchmeat and cheese strips)
Throw in tangerines, grapes, watermelon, apples
MANLY LUNCHBOX:
* chili w cheese or hotdogs; oatmeal or pb cookies
* chicken sandwich w cheese and hot peppers, baby toms, berries/watermelon, chips
* fried chicken, baked pot, corn on cob; pineapple chunks
* Leftover pizza, celery w pb, dried papaya
* Veggie PR Special w rice, baby toms, ch onion, banana chips
* pepper jack cheese with cotto salami, trail mix, crackers (bagel bites)
* fried chicken, potato salad, watermelon, hard-boiled egg (picnic), oreos
*egg salad sandwich, pickle, cheese and cotto salami

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:09 pm 

You should blog that, Sis! What a list!

I don't think I can narrow it down to just ONE choice, but here are a few of my repeat menus that I like to eat frequently

It's Pascha eve. After Lent, you ask me what I'd eat three times a day? the answer is not good!
B: Cinnamon Toast Crunch (storebrand) cereal with soymilk
L: Pizza
D: Chocolate/Cookies ; )

(You're asking ME here - right? I mean, since I have a whole family to feed, I DON'T eat these things every day, but if left to my own devices . . .)

On a REGULAR day, if you had asked me:

B: Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cereal with Soymilk (notice a trend here?)
L: Peanut Butter & Honey Toast or
D: My Lentil Soup or My Lentil Soup over Spaghetti

Other Good everyday options:
B: Cool & Creamy summer Oats, my own Whole Wheat Muffins
L: Hummus & Veggies or Hummus & Veggie Wrap or Bean& Rice Burrito, Bread with Spreads/dips (olive, hummus, tahini, etc)
D: Vacation Soup, Bulgur Pilaf, Greek Bean soup (Fasolia Yachni)

I generally serve a tray of fresh raw veggies at every meal but breakfast, and we have a steady stream of fresh fruit. And homemade bread every meal.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:30 pm 

I am a creature of habit. When I was in college this is what I ate: toast and coffee for breakfast (fast) I'd eat an orange from the vending machine at school (25 cents, it was cheap) then on the way home from work I'd pick up a McD's cheeseburger and a chocolate shake ($1.26 again cheap-that was a long time ago but I distinctly remember scrounging around for that amount). If I didnt have the money I could count on my roommates to leave me something in the oven. They were Peruvian, interesting meals.

When I worked, I'd have coffee and toast, an instant oatmeal with milk at break, some kind of sandwich for lunch or leftovers. Rice and beans for dinner, salad and a veggie. That's what I ate growing up. When we got married we ate meat maybe 2-3 times a week because we couldnt afford it. We did eat ground turkey a lot.

Today, I have toast and coffee, leftovers for lunch and dinner is rice and beans, veggie and a salad. I just change up the type of beans, veggie, and what goes in the salad. Sometimes its soup like minestrone that has white beans and a type of pasta like macaroni in it.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:16 am 

Well I am just horrible. I work nights and don't cook at all the days I work and seldom cook other days. It's instant drive through restaurant food

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:23 am 

Oops, I had forgotten about this thread. Thank you to everyone that replied, I need to read back through it! I have kind of gotten off track from healthy and simple eating, lately, and been giving in to too many cravings.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:58 am 

Since I am on Nutrisystem I have a variety of meals.
On the days I "do my own", two days a week I have
B protein shake
or 1 cup cereal, non sweet with half a cup of skim milk
frut

S fruit or yogurt

L WW dinner that is not high calorie
small salad

S protein shake

D pita ww with lots of lettuce , a tomato, and 4 slices of turkey meat lean

S nut bar