It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:14 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Over-hydrating.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:58 am 

According to Dr. Weil: Currently, over-hydrating is a greater concern than under-hydrating.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/TIP05917/Pr ... ather.html

One of the things, besides wearing yoga pants for pants, that I see in our culture that seems ridiculous is the "fear" of not having water. Second only to the cell phone, if somebody doesn't have a bottle of water with them at all times they seem to get panicky. :roll:

Post subject: Re: Over-hydrating.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:52 am 

Well, I don't have much respect for Dr. Weil, and tend not to give his ideas much credence. (or Dr. Oz, or any other "I play a doctor on TV" personalities). And, this statement is just WEIRD.

Over hydration - drinking SO much water without eating or drinking anything with sodium, potassium, etc that you deplete your electrolytes - is pretty rare -and is mostly limited to those with SEVERE underlying health problems like kidney dialysis or heart problems or anorexia. I've never known someone close up who had a serious over-hydration problem.

In contrast - dehydration is one of the world's top killers. I've been close to several people who have been hospitalized for this, and a few who have died of it.

So - where he gets the idea that over-hydration is the bigger problem? I don't know.

My personal fear is not having enuf COFFEE! That's what *I* tend to carry everywhere, and get panicky without ; )

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:34 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
Well, I don't have much respect for Dr. Weil, and tend not to give his ideas much credence. (or Dr. Oz, or any other "I play a doctor on TV" personalities). And, this statement is just WEIRD.

Over hydration - drinking SO much water without eating or drinking anything with sodium, potassium, etc that you deplete your electrolytes - is pretty rare -and is mostly limited to those with SEVERE underlying health problems like kidney dialysis or heart problems or anorexia. I've never known someone close up who had a serious over-hydration problem.

In contrast - dehydration is one of the world's top killers. I've been close to several people who have been hospitalized for this, and a few who have died of it.

So - where he gets the idea that over-hydration is the bigger problem? I don't know.

My personal fear is not having enuf COFFEE! That's what *I* tend to carry everywhere, and get panicky without ; )

Well, I'll agree that dehydration is a bigger problem. I've never KNOWN anyone to over-hydrate. ;-) I just think the phobia of dehydration is a bit much. I get my hydration from pepsi. LOL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:51 pm 

Carrying a water bottle is just fashionable - that's all. If you wanna be one of the cool kids, ya gotta have a water bottle. At least it's better than beer being the fashion! Anything people do as slaves to fashion gets annoying - even if it's not otherwise a bad idea : )

My Mom was one of the trend setters in this area - of course, her water wasn't purchased - it was homemade ; ) She was known as the "lady who carries her own water" back when that would point out a person in a crowd! But, for her, it was because of health reasons.

I do tend to carry something to drink wherever I go, too. Altho, for myself I often just carry an empty cup that I can fill with water or coffee as needed. But, for DD I do carry water.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:48 pm 

We were "those people" before it was cool, too! Always have along snacks (we have a diabetic that has to eat at certain times) and water or some beverage. I keep a little bottle of water in my bag. In the car I always have a big insulated cup or thermos of cold water, and a thermos of coffee if going any distance!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:11 pm 

coastal Carol wrote:
We were "those people" before it was cool, too! Always have along snacks (we have a diabetic that has to eat at certain times) and water or some beverage. I keep a little bottle of water in my bag. In the car I always have a big insulated cup or thermos of cold water, and a thermos of coffee if going any distance!

Being "prepared" is one thing. I think it's a must, especially if you deal with issues like diabetes. But having to have water while sitting thru a 45 minute class and then having to get up to go to the bathroom... :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:29 pm 

I agree. I don't get the obsession with water. We only take it when we're going to the park and it's really hot out. I always hear that if you wait until you're thirsty to drink, then you're dehydrated. I guess that can be the case and you shouldn't ignore your body's signal. But that's like saying if you wait until you're hungry, to eat, you're starving. So you should eat BEFORE you're hungry and you should drink BEFORE you're thirsty. To me, that's absurd. It's like saying you know better than God, how things should work, and His design isn't good enough.

Working around a bunch of doctors and nurses, I have dealt with some very rude and pushy people, especially when I was pregnant, trying to force me to drink tons of water, because they didn't think I was drinking enough. The few times I tried to drink all the water they wanted me to, it made me feel sick and felt like my eyeballs were floating. People are ridiculous. I just wait until I'm thirsty, to drink.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:35 pm 

Sis wrote:
coastal Carol wrote:

Being "prepared" is one thing. I think it's a must, especially if you deal with issues like diabetes. But having to have water while sitting thru a 45 minute class and then having to get up to go to the bathroom... :roll:

Oh - that is ME! :mrgreen:

So, you're saying that's a bad thing?????? :?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:01 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
Sis wrote:
coastal Carol wrote:

Oh - that is ME! :mrgreen:

So, you're saying that's a bad thing?????? :?

I want GREEN ROLLING EYES emoji here. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:03 pm 

LisaTX wrote:
I agree. I don't get the obsession with water. We only take it when we're going to the park and it's really hot out. I always hear that if you wait until you're thirsty to drink, then you're dehydrated. I guess that can be the case and you shouldn't ignore your body's signal. But that's like saying if you wait until you're hungry, to eat, you're starving. So you should eat BEFORE you're hungry and you should drink BEFORE you're thirsty. To me, that's absurd. It's like saying you know better than God, how things should work, and His design isn't good enough.

Working around a bunch of doctors and nurses, I have dealt with some very rude and pushy people, especially when I was pregnant, trying to force me to drink tons of water, because they didn't think I was drinking enough. The few times I tried to drink all the water they wanted me to, it made me feel sick and felt like my eyeballs were floating. People are ridiculous. I just wait until I'm thirsty, to drink.

Let's hear it for common sense! :D