It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:08 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: Over-hydrating.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:19 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
Well, I don't have much respect for Dr. Weil, and tend not to give his ideas much credence. (or Dr. Oz, or any other "I play a doctor on TV" personalities). And, this statement is just WEIRD.

Over hydration - drinking SO much water without eating or drinking anything with sodium, potassium, etc that you deplete your electrolytes - is pretty rare -and is mostly limited to those with SEVERE underlying health problems like kidney dialysis or heart problems or anorexia. I've never known someone close up who had a serious over-hydration problem.

In contrast - dehydration is one of the world's top killers. I've been close to several people who have been hospitalized for this, and a few who have died of it.

So - where he gets the idea that over-hydration is the bigger problem? I don't know.

My personal fear is not having enuf COFFEE! That's what *I* tend to carry everywhere, and get panicky without ; )

Dr Weil and Dr Oz really are doctors. Practicing doctors, even. I don't put much stock in what MOST doctors say, including those 2. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:32 pm 

Sis wrote:
Anna1111 wrote:
Well, I don't have much respect for Dr. Weil, and tend not to give his ideas much credence. (or Dr. Oz, or any other "I play a doctor on TV" personalities). And, this statement is just WEIRD.

Over hydration - drinking SO much water without eating or drinking anything with sodium, potassium, etc that you deplete your electrolytes - is pretty rare -and is mostly limited to those with SEVERE underlying health problems like kidney dialysis or heart problems or anorexia. I've never known someone close up who had a serious over-hydration problem.

In contrast - dehydration is one of the world's top killers. I've been close to several people who have been hospitalized for this, and a few who have died of it.

So - where he gets the idea that over-hydration is the bigger problem? I don't know.

My personal fear is not having enuf COFFEE! That's what *I* tend to carry everywhere, and get panicky without ; )

Dr Weil and Dr Oz really are doctors. Practicing doctors, even. I don't put much stock in what MOST doctors say, including those 2. ;)

Yeah. AS a Doctor I know is fond of quoting from his medschool classmates "D=MD" (D being a grade, in this context ; )

Anybody who spends his time promoting new age silliness on TV (and who can't even put on a suit & tie to do it) doesn't get very far in my book. Especially when he's neglecting patient care to do it - nobody can be in 2 places at once. He can't perform surgery while he's getting makeup done for Oprah! These pop-culture "gurus" are one of the many reasons I don't have a TV : )

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:23 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
Sis wrote:
Anna1111 wrote:

Yeah. AS a Doctor I know is fond of quoting from his medschool classmates "D=MD" (D being a grade, in this context ; )

Anybody who spends his time promoting new age silliness on TV (and who can't even put on a suit & tie to do it) doesn't get very far in my book. Especially when he's neglecting patient care to do it - nobody can be in 2 places at once. He can't perform surgery while he's getting makeup done for Oprah! These pop-culture "gurus" are one of the many reasons I don't have a TV : )

Well! :o Tell me what you really think! :P I could care less about a suit and tie and probably more doctors than not have other things going on - teaching, golf, dating the nurses, appearing on tv shows, when they could be seeing more patients. :roll: I don't know what they promote on tv. Is it new age stuff? Both of them? What I do worry about is how many people take what they say as gospel. My mom talks about both of them and even has a friend that follows Dr Weil rather than her own doctor. I guess that might be good or bad, depending on what her own doctor is like! :ugeek:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:07 am 

I'm certainly no expert on either of them (since I avoid them like the plague ; ) but both of their wikipedia articles list new age-y stuff. (does that roll off the tongue better than adjectiv-ized? ; )

Mind you, I'm all in favor of SOME alternative therapies.

My Mother's end-of-life doctors- God Bless them - seemed to not even sleep, much less date nurses. OTOH - some of the docs who had missed diagnosing her for so many years - well - not so sure of them.

I think a doctor SHOULD have a LIFE - but that's very different from having a second career that takes even more time than doctoring.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:55 am 

Whenever I see doctors all over TV and just generally "in my face" all the time, I feel like they are just trying to make money. I think Dr. Phil might be one of the better ones, but I haven't watched his show in years and he's probably money hungry like the rest of them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:16 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
I'm certainly no expert on either of them (since I avoid them like the plague ; ) but both of their wikipedia articles list new age-y stuff. (does that roll off the tongue better than adjectiv-ized? ; )

Mind you, I'm all in favor of SOME alternative therapies.

My Mother's end-of-life doctors- God Bless them - seemed to not even sleep, much less date nurses. OTOH - some of the docs who had missed diagnosing her for so many years - well - not so sure of them.

I think a doctor SHOULD have a LIFE - but that's very different from having a second career that takes even more time than doctoring.

Goodness! You expect a lot from doctors, eh? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:56 am 

Anna1111 wrote:

:lol: Me too, Anna!!!!

I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me. (Phil. 4:13)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:21 am 

This is a photograph of 'my' doctor and his family. After a decade of following his recommended diet for health and wellbeing and not 'buying' anything except some cheap secondhand books of his (which he actually tells you to do) I can say I feel as good as they look :)

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:11 pm 

I can probably go him one better. ;-)

Then God said, "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you; 30and to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the sky and to every thing that moves on the earth which has life, I have given every green plant for food"; and it was so.… Gen 1:29-30

That is how we were MEANT to eat. Fruit, veggies, grains.

But then.... the flood. Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things. Gen 9:3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:37 pm 

Good timing on this post. Just last night dh said he tho't we should go back to eating vegan with occasional meat meals. His blood sugar seems all over the map right now and it was steadily going down when we were eating vegan. :)