It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:59 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: No more vegan?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:23 am 

We're so fickled. BUT, I'm using the weekend to try to use up some of the foods that won't be on the NEXT phase of our dieting plans. So, I made a small batch of Anna's challah bread. It should be ready to braid in another hour or so. We won't be eating bread :shock: for the next 2 weeks if I have my way.

As soon as I saw which way the wind was blowing I concluded I needed to go back to the Fat Flush. I quit before because of "all the cooking" involved! :lol: WELL! I think that issue has been resolved. It's a good transition, I think, because it calls for so many veggies and plenty of fruit and EXERCISE. It's part of the plan. I was planning on starting to exercise again in March so that works out nicely. We'll start the FF March 1. The trick is to keep the meat portions down. It shouldn't hang over the plate! :?

It's getting warm out, too. I won't be wanting to bake bread at 450 for an hour if this weather keeps up. Anna, how do you do it?!

Dh will want a celebratory roast, I imagine. I won't eat it so he can make it as hot as he wants. :mrgreen: He loves to put chipotles in his roast.

In two months I have lost 7 lb. Not too shabby. Vegan eating gets an A in my book.

Post subject: Re: No more vegan?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:31 am 

I bake the Challah at 350 for 1/2 hour (not 450 for an hour!)

Here its snowing - so no problem : ) But, in the summer we live on Naan from the stove top or Crock pot bread baked outdoors.

7 pounds in 2 months? that's great! And the diabetes under control? I'd call that a HUGE success!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:00 pm 

It IS a huge success! No denying that! :)

Do you bake the other bread like that, too? I do 2# loaves and have to bake it 50 minutes at 450 or it's not done.

Oh, that's right. Naan! :) Reminds me I have pizza dough in the frig that has to be used!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:16 pm 

I suspect your oven is broke- unless you're making very dense 2# loaves. Do you have an inside oven thermometer to double check the temp?

What did you mean "the way the wind is blowing"? in your original post here?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:39 pm 

What's a fat flush? I didn't know you were leaving the vegan diet.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:53 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
I suspect your oven is broke- unless you're making very dense 2# loaves. Do you have an inside oven thermometer to double check the temp?

My recipe suggest 50 min at 450. ?? I haven't checked the oven temp.

"The way the wind is blowing" is my dh making noises about meat and not knowing how much longer he could stay vegan. He's one of those all-or-nothing types. Once he has a meat meal he is "no longer vegan". I could easily be vegan 90% of the time and just indulge in the meat and dairy occasionally, I think.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:05 pm 

LisaTX wrote:
What's a fat flush? I didn't know you were leaving the vegan diet.

It was just decided last night. Rather than go off ANY diet I am just moving us over to another very healthy diet I'm familiar with - Ann Louise Gittleman's Fat Flush. It has the unsweetened cranberry juice, warm lemon water, low carb, lots of veggies, plenty of fruit, 4 oz portioned meat but mostly fish and seafood(?) (still alot to my way of thinking but dh can have that much).

Neither of us seem to be able to stick to our own plan without the other one also doing it.

This weekend will be interesting. I will probably have a mocha and we are going on our old clam chowder date today. Milk products! AND clams! :shock: I'm afraid my tummy won't like it. I miss hamburger, of all things, so I'll probably make a tater tot casserole for after church. Or go out for a hamburger with feta! Drool. :lol:

I can almost hear myself now: "Well, that's not how I remember it tasting!?" :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:33 pm 

Sis wrote:
Anna1111 wrote:

My recipe suggest 50 min at 450. ?? I haven't checked the oven temp.

"The way the wind is blowing" is my dh making noises about meat and not knowing how much longer he could stay vegan. He's one of those all-or-nothing types. Once he has a meat meal he is "no longer vegan". I could easily be vegan 90% of the time and just indulge in the meat and dairy occasionally, I think.

Both of my bread recipes (the Artisan bread in 5 and my own recipe for vegan Challah, etc) call for 30 to 45 minute time ranges. The higher temp (artisan) is 450 and uses 30 min. the lower temp (Challah) is 34-45 min on my blog (tho sometimes I find it's done at 30 min.

I get if your DH just can't do it any more - it's too bad when it was working so well for his diabetes - but I don't always stick to it either (tho I am always vegetarian). Some folks just can't do it - but it's great that he gave it a try and saw some great results. Maybe he'll return after his fix. : )

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:29 pm 

I understand being all or nothing. That's how I felt the first time I tried doing the vegan diet. I couldn't just do it partway. Part of the reason, was because of what other people say. For instance, Forks Over Knives, Mcdougall, etc. present it s all or nothing. There is no room in their articles, recipes, etc for any slight deviation from what is healthiest. There is no "healthier", just "healthiest". And that's the way many vegans treat it, too. They will even tell you you're not vegan if you wear or eat x,y,z. Maybe they're technically accurate, but this time around, I'm listening to myself, and I don't need to label it anything. I'm aiming for healthier, not perfection. So no, I'm not vegan or even vegetarian and I may never strictly be either of those things. But seeing it this way, allows me to have that burger one day, if I want it that bad, and then go on to eat mostly plant based for the rest of the week. I'm ok with itand that's all that matters, I'm not answering to anyone else about it and I'm a ton healthier than I was on my diet of no fruit/veggies/whole grains and lots of meat/dairy.

Maybe your dh will also reach a point of not seeing it as all or nothing. But lots of fruit/veggies and small portions of meat, is still better than most people eat today. Meat should at least be dethroned from the center of the plate and be more of a side, and that's what I try to do when I do have meat.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:40 pm 

LisaTX wrote:
I understand being all or nothing. That's how I felt the first time I tried doing the vegan diet. I couldn't just do it partway. Part of the reason, was because of what other people say. For instance, Forks Over Knives, Mcdougall, etc. present it s all or nothing. There is no room in their articles, recipes, etc for any slight deviation from what is healthiest. There is no "healthier", just "healthiest". And that's the way many vegans treat it, too. They will even tell you you're not vegan if you wear or eat x,y,z. Maybe they're technically accurate, but this time around, I'm listening to myself, and I don't need to label it anything. I'm aiming for healthier, not perfection. So no, I'm not vegan or even vegetarian and I may never strictly be either of those things. But seeing it this way, allows me to have that burger one day, if I want it that bad, and then go on to eat mostly plant based for the rest of the week. I'm ok with itand that's all that matters, I'm not answering to anyone else about it and I'm a ton healthier than I was on my diet of no fruit/veggies/whole grains and lots of meat/dairy.

Maybe your dh will also reach a point of not seeing it as all or nothing. But lots of fruit/veggies and small portions of meat, is still better than most people eat today. Meat should at least be dethroned from the center of the plate and be more of a side, and that's what I try to do when I do have meat.

Exactly. 8-)