It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:52 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Majadera for dinner tonight.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:19 pm 

I had granola with oat milk for breakfast, broccoli soup with plenty of nutritional yeast and non-dairy milks :mrgreen: , 2 BelVita cookies for snack and majadera for dinner - can't wait. I haven't had it for ages. I like to burn some of the onions. Is that weird?

I think I'll make a side salad to go with it. We haven't been getting our greens in as much lately.

I'm still having a hard time with the amounts I make. I just follow the recipes. Lunch said it served EIGHT so I cut it in half. Uhm... it served TWO. It should've served 4. It's hard to judge if they don't say "makes 4 - 1/2 c servings" or something.

The broccoli soup I made today (Chloe) was more like normal cheesey broccoli soup than the others I've made but I won't say we liked it "better". Still searching for those go-to recipes. :) Dh is ready to stick to rice and beans. It's his go-to for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, and anything else! Or these great organic blue chips with flax he found at Safeway and Arriba salsa. He could live on those two things.

Post subject: Re: Majadera for dinner tonight.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:33 pm 

Yeah - Moujendra is absolutely one of our go-to meals! Tonight we had my "Chinese Restaurant food" - stir fry veggies over rice. It's pretty popular here & easy too : )

I completely ignore portion size listings - they're useless! With Legume dishes - they freeze well - I sometimes just make a huge batch & freeze some for later. No matter what the recipe says, I know that to feed my family I need at least 1# dried or 3 cans of beans/lentils. (assuming they're more than a garnish for the recipe) I don't know who those people are that they make those "portions" for - but I've never met them. Maybe they're supermodels? ; )

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:01 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
Yeah - Moujendra is absolutely one of our go-to meals! Tonight we had my "Chinese Restaurant food" - stir fry veggies over rice. It's pretty popular here & easy too : )

I completely ignore portion size listings - they're useless! With Legume dishes - they freeze well - I sometimes just make a huge batch & freeze some for later. No matter what the recipe says, I know that to feed my family I need at least 1# dried or 3 cans of beans/lentils. (assuming they're more than a garnish for the recipe) I don't know who those people are that they make those "portions" for - but I've never met them. Maybe they're supermodels? ; )

Well, no supermodels live HERE! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:58 am 

Sis wrote:
I had granola with oat milk for breakfast, broccoli soup with plenty of nutritional yeast and non-dairy milks :mrgreen: , 2 BelVita cookies for snack and majadera for dinner - can't wait. I haven't had it for ages. I like to burn some of the onions. Is that weird?

I think I'll make a side salad to go with it. We haven't been getting our greens in as much lately.

I'm still having a hard time with the amounts I make. I just follow the recipes. Lunch said it served EIGHT so I cut it in half. Uhm... it served TWO. It should've served 4. It's hard to judge if they don't say "makes 4 - 1/2 c servings" or something.

The broccoli soup I made today (Chloe) was more like normal cheesey broccoli soup than the others I've made but I won't say we liked it "better". Still searching for those go-to recipes. :) Dh is ready to stick to rice and beans. It's his go-to for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, and anything else! Or these great organic blue chips with flax he found at Safeway and Arriba salsa. He could live on those two things.

So, I have quite a bit leftover. I'll freeze some but I want to try to make a soup out of some, too. Any suggestions on how to go about that? I am a go-by-the-recipe woman, unfortunately. :?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:23 pm 

I've never tried to turn it into a soup. I've considered that (as well as various lentil-veggie-burgers) but never got down to business & made it work.

I fear mushiness with re-done lentils. Of course, you can always make a pureed lentil soup & top it with Red Wine Vinegar - that's the Greek way to do lentil soup, anyway : )

If I were guessing at it (and I would be!) I'd add sufficient water & bouillon for flavor, then taste it & add a favorite seasoning blend to taste (Spike, Mrs. Dash Table blend - whatever) & some suitable veggies (spinach, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes etc) - preferably precooked veggies since the lentils are already done- leftovers would be great here : )

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:52 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
I've never tried to turn it into a soup. I've considered that (as well as various lentil-veggie-burgers) but never got down to business & made it work.

I fear mushiness with re-done lentils. Of course, you can always make a pureed lentil soup & top it with Red Wine Vinegar - that's the Greek way to do lentil soup, anyway : )

If I were guessing at it (and I would be!) I'd add sufficient water & bouillon for flavor, then taste it & add a favorite seasoning blend to taste (Spike, Mrs. Dash Table blend - whatever) & some suitable veggies (spinach, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes etc) - preferably precooked veggies since the lentils are already done- leftovers would be great here : )

I had some leftovers for breakfast - mushy - yes, good - yes. :) The pureed idea is great. I think I'll make some in little corn tortillas for lunch with a salad. We have been eating like FIVE tacos each :o but I'm going to make 3 each today to start cutting us down. ALSO the veggie burger idea - I'll look into that. I've been wanting to make them anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:08 pm 

Some folks like lentil tacos, too : )

Beware of "cutting down" too much - you're losing weight - if you cut back too much you could find yourself desperately eating a package of oreos. Not that I'd know about that, or anything ; )

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:28 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
Some folks like lentil tacos, too : )

Beware of "cutting down" too much - you're losing weight - if you cut back too much you could find yourself desperately eating a package of oreos. Not that I'd know about that, or anything ; )

You say that like it's a bad thing?! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:58 pm 

Welllll . . . They ARE Vegan! :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:21 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
Welllll . . . They ARE Vegan! :D

Naturally! 8-)