It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:24 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: Protein
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:39 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
You're thinking too much! : )

The reason he says, "if you got all of your calories from rice" is because nearly any OTHER staple food - as he says, starch or veggie - you sub in for the rice is HIGHER in protein than the rice. (fruit is the big exception - if you live ALL on fruit, you could run into trouble - but then, that's not a very likely scenario!) So, if you have rice "with a meal" the rest of the meal will boost your protein intake above that of plain rice : )

I DO think too much!!! :lol: That's why EVERYthing is slow going for me. And I'm nearly as bad as I USED to be!!!

So, I'm not worried about protein. Is there something I *should* make sure we're getting? I always think "greens". Everything else comes easily - we could LIVE on beans and rice.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:44 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
Try to weigh once a week & not to fret over little fluctuations - those can be from salt, hormones, whatever. I doubt the diet drinks are at fault. I have lost 50# in a year from eating this way - it's a good thing (full disclosure here - I'm up substantially right now because I haven't been sticking to my guns. BUT - I did keep the weight off for several years : ). It seems slow compared to all those fake "diet" promises - but for real life, when you're not hungry all the time - it's a great thing! : )

I did weigh in more often the first week, and maybe the 2nd. I almost missed weighing in the 3rd week. :) I don't think the weight is from the drinks but possibly the bloated feeling. Also, tofu makes me bloat, I know, but we've cut down the tofu this week.

I'm probably jaded because I always lost weight easily on ANY eating plan I tried. Now that I'm old and stretched out :roll: it may be more difficult. My tried and true "diets" haven't been working in the last year. Time to NOURISH my body and not just try to lose weight.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:56 pm 

IMHO - the ONLY nutrient that vegans need to worry about more than non-vegans is B-12.

Having said that, there may be nutrients that nearly all Americans should worry about - for instance, Vit D.

The irony is that people who eat absolute garbage day in, day out - like all fast , chips and boxed snack cakes - are never warned by anyone to "make sure they get enough nutrition" even tho they probably should worry! But those who eat a whole foods, plant based diet that is packed with nutrition are. Isn't that crazy?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:27 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
IMHO - the ONLY nutrient that vegans need to worry about more than non-vegans is B-12.

Having said that, there may be nutrients that nearly all Americans should worry about - for instance, Vit D.

The irony is that people who eat absolute garbage day in, day out - like all fast , chips and boxed snack cakes - are never warned by anyone to "make sure they get enough nutrition" even tho they probably should worry! But those who eat a whole foods, plant based diet that is packed with nutrition are. Isn't that crazy?

Yes, that IS crazy!

It seems nutritional yeast and fortified soy products like soy milk and tofu have B12.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:03 pm 

yeah - but personally - I just take a pill - so I don't have to stress so much about planning it into my diet. If I have it, fine, if I don't fine : )

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:28 am 

Sis wrote:
Anna1111 wrote:
Try to weigh once a week & not to fret over little fluctuations - those can be from salt, hormones, whatever. I doubt the diet drinks are at fault. I have lost 50# in a year from eating this way - it's a good thing (full disclosure here - I'm up substantially right now because I haven't been sticking to my guns. BUT - I did keep the weight off for several years : ). It seems slow compared to all those fake "diet" promises - but for real life, when you're not hungry all the time - it's a great thing! : )

I did weigh in more often the first week, and maybe the 2nd. I almost missed weighing in the 3rd week. :) I don't think the weight is from the drinks but possibly the bloated feeling. Also, tofu makes me bloat, I know, but we've cut down the tofu this week.

I'm probably jaded because I always lost weight easily on ANY eating plan I tried. Now that I'm old and stretched out :roll: it may be more difficult. My tried and true "diets" haven't been working in the last year. Time to NOURISH my body and not just try to lose weight.

I think that last sentence is key. That is the reason I started eating this way. I knew weight loss would be an inevitable result, but my main goal is just to be healthy. I've heard people say that even if they never lost a pound, they would continue to eat a whole foods, plant based diet. Of course, it would be pretty disappointing if you needed to lose weight and never lost any weight while eating healthy. But I think that's pretty rare, if it even happens at all. I think 3 pounds in 3 weeks is great! If you wanted to lose faster, maybe cutting out all those healthy fats would help. I rarely have avocado or nuts. My weakness is chips and hummus. While the chips are healthy, compared to most other chips, they still have oil in them and it's easy to eat too many.

Most people don't gain 5-10 pounds all at once, it happens gradually over time, so slowly you don't even notice it, until you're 10 pounds heavier! So, it's realistic that you will lose it slowly over time, as well, unless you're a contestant on the Biggest Loser.

I've been playing tug of war with the same pound for awhile, before I finally lose it for good. It takes awhile, but over time, a few ounces at a time, I slowly creep down, until that pound is gone for good. I'm just being realistic and seeing this as a process, a lifestyle change in the long run, not a quick fix, but a repairing of the damage done, that will hopefully reap benefits years down the road. That helps me to stick with it and not give in.

Also, I never say never. I never say I will never have meat or dairy again, because if I did that and I caved in and had it, I would feel like a failure and throw in the towel. I'm just extra picky about what I cave in to. If I've been meatless for a month and then I visit dh's family and they make some delicious food with meat in it, I won't hate myself or get off track, if I have a little meat that one day. I see it as a rare treat and am back on my WFPBD the next day. One meal with meat once a month, is much healthier than my former diet of meat 2-3x a day!

I also wouldn't think too much about protein. If you are eating until you are full, on a WFPB diet, you will get enough protein. And when in doubt, just throw in some beans! That's what I do, lol.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:58 am 

[b]Time to NOURISH my body and not just try to lose weight.[b]

>>>I think that last sentence is key. That is the reason I started eating this way. I knew weight loss would be an inevitable result, but my main goal is just to be healthy.
<<< Last time it took me a couple of MONTHS before losing any real weight. I didn't think it would happen at all. I ended up losing 20-25 lb, I think. I was happy.

>>> I'm just being realistic and seeing this as a process, a lifestyle change in the long run, not a quick fix, but a repairing of the damage done, that will hopefully reap benefits years down the road. That helps me to stick with it and not give in.
<<< And that's what I need to remember. Right now I'm just focused on making the meals, not the bigger picture. It hasn't been hard not to "cheat" ... yet. My coffee is one place I think about it because I'm not enjoying it black. I've tried to find substitutes but so far, nada.

>>>Also, I never say never. I never say I will never have meat or dairy again, because if I did that and I caved in and had it, I would feel like a failure and throw in the towel.
<<< Exactly. Altho' my dh thinks if we cheat at all, we're losers! :P

>>> I also wouldn't think too much about protein. If you are eating until you are full, on a WFPB diet, you will get enough protein. And when in doubt, just throw in some beans! That's what I do, lol.[/quote]
<<< :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:10 pm 

I've heard good things about this sort of vegan coffee creamer
http://www.kitchentreaty.com/how-to-mak ... e-creamer/

(I like mine unadulterated - so don't have a need for the stuff myself : )