It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:30 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Protein
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:01 pm 

So many people we talk to are worried about us getting enough protein on our vegan diet. We feel good so I haven't worried about it but, in the long run, I do want to make sure we aren't harming ourselves.

I put a basic day's menu in a food tracker and had to work a little at getting 60 grams of protein. It's hard to track exactly how many cups of beans you're eating when they're in soup or mixed with something else. And if I don't finish my oatmeal with a T of nutritional yeast, how much did I really get?

I'm not worried about it but I'd like to learn to plan my menus with basic nutrients in mind. Dh gets a lot of his protein from his snacking on pumpkin seeds.

Post subject: Re: Protein
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:19 pm 

Here ya go : )

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2007nl/apr/protein.htm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:04 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:

Like I said, everybody seems to have a different opinion on how much protein we need. ;-) Here's another:
The Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for the average, sedentary adult is only 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight.

I can't do that math. :?

Gotta go throw my bread in the oven.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:28 pm 

Here's a pound/kilo converter
http://www.metric-conversions.org/weigh ... ograms.htm

After that, it's just a calculator to multiply by .8

I like McDougall's explanation of HOW the RDA was determined - it was a real eye opener for me - how much science that ISN'T behind that recommendation. Opinion is just that, I like to see numbers, peer reviewed, well designed studies, and solid statistics : )

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:09 am 

Anna1111 wrote:
Here's a pound/kilo converter
http://www.metric-conversions.org/weigh ... ograms.htm

After that, it's just a calculator to multiply by .8

I like McDougall's explanation of HOW the RDA was determined - it was a real eye opener for me - how much science that ISN'T behind that recommendation. Opinion is just that, I like to see numbers, peer reviewed, well designed studies, and solid statistics : )

I was scanning for an amount. ;-) It seems the point is "not to worry".

Dh and I were discussing whether to take this into February. Of course we are! :) BUT, I'm not losing any weight. At least, I don't consider 3 pounds in 3 weeks "losing weight" but I guess it is going in the right direction. :P I've been looking hard at what I've been doing. Wanting to stay "vegan" but not feeling deprived I think we've done too many of the Oreos and chips stuff. I'm taking a harder stance on what I'm putting in my mouth. I'm happy for the health benefits of the vegan diet in general but I'm not happy with the slowness of weight loss.

I'm not drinking the water I started out with and have picked up the diet 7up and even some pepsi drinking. :? It's easy to fall into the "fast" foods. Dh loves to snack on the seeds and bread but thankfully those are not the things I'm having problems with.

I've looked up some vegan DIETS that talk about the things to watch out for like the fake cheese and meats (yuck) and the "healthy fats" like avocados, nuts and olives - now THAT is more my problem! ;-)

January was my "vegan month". February is my "Word month". But, I am *building* on each month, not replacing. That means I will take what we did in January and start tweaking it while focusing on the Word for my second month.

It's WEIRD but I am starting my february in january. It just feels like it's time. I guess it's more of a transition week. I suppose I'll need a running start with dd and kids moving back into the house. ;-)

I am SO thankful that dh is going north with friends tomorrow. They'll be gone at least 4 hours. THANK YOU LORD! My attitude has been better about not having alone time but it's still needed. Sad to say, I hope dd moves west sooner than later. The kids go to school but having her here 24/7 will drag me down. (And not because she's difficult.)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:58 am 

Three pounds in three weeks is GREAT! The normal weight loss on a healthy, non-deprived vegan diet is 1#/week - so you're right on schedule! Think of it this way, in a year, if you continue at this rate, you'll be down 50#! : )

And, yes, the message is "don't worry" because if you eat enough calories on a healthy, whole foods diet, you will get enough protein. Even RICE or POTATOES have enough protein for human health : ) But, I like that Dr. McDougall explains why that is so : )

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:16 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
Three pounds in three weeks is GREAT! The normal weight loss on a healthy, non-deprived vegan diet is 1#/week - so you're right on schedule! Think of it this way, in a year, if you continue at this rate, you'll be down 50#! : )

And, yes, the message is "don't worry" because if you eat enough calories on a healthy, whole foods diet, you will get enough protein. Even RICE or POTATOES have enough protein for human health : ) But, I like that Dr. McDougall explains why that is so : )

I WAS happy with it (the 3#) but feel like I'm creeping back UP. :? My insides are starting to feel crowded again. :( The only culprit I can think of is the stupid diet drinks. So easy to fall back on those. I don't like WATER! :twisted:

But, I would be ecstatic to be down 50#!!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:46 pm 

Try to weigh once a week & not to fret over little fluctuations - those can be from salt, hormones, whatever. I doubt the diet drinks are at fault. I have lost 50# in a year from eating this way - it's a good thing (full disclosure here - I'm up substantially right now because I haven't been sticking to my guns. BUT - I did keep the weight off for several years : ). It seems slow compared to all those fake "diet" promises - but for real life, when you're not hungry all the time - it's a great thing! : )

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:15 pm 

In reading thru McDougall more carefully, this is something I always think of: In fact, so rich are plants that they can meet the protein needs of the earth’s largest animals: elephants, hippopotamuses, giraffes, and cows. You would be correct to deduce that the protein needs of relatively small humans can easily be met by plants.

I find statements like this a bit misleading: This quantity of protein is impossible to avoid when daily calorie needs are met by unrefined starches and vegetables. For example, rice alone would provide 71 grams of highly useable protein and white potatoes would provide 64 grams of protein.

You have to realize he means if you got ALL of your calories from rice in a day that it would meet the guideline. If you had rice with a meal it would not. I know that seems like a no-brainer but a lot of people don't think that way.

He also says beans are 27% protein. A cup of lentils is closer to 18% in every place I've checked and they are one of the higher "beans". See why it's so confusing?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:23 pm 

You're thinking too much! : )

The reason he says, "if you got all of your calories from rice" is because nearly any OTHER staple food - as he says, starch or veggie - you sub in for the rice is HIGHER in protein than the rice. (fruit is the big exception - if you live ALL on fruit, you could run into trouble - but then, that's not a very likely scenario!) So, if you have rice "with a meal" the rest of the meal will boost your protein intake above that of plain rice : )