It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:56 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: I'm becoming one of "those" people!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:38 pm 

You know, those annoying people that everyone rolls their eyes at. Unless, I've already been one of those people for awhile, and just didn't know it. But lately, I've been feeling regret for the way I've eaten and treated my body all my life. Rarely ever eating fruit/veggies. Living off of junk with little or no nutritional value. It's a miracle our bodies can even withstand such abuse, until it starts catching up to us. It doesn't help that we're studying anatomy and physiology and just learned about the digestive system. God created our bodies with such care and our bodies do so much for us! And that's how we treat it, by fueling it with junk and making it's job harder, until we reach the point where our bodies give up and shut down on us. Go ahead and laugh at me, my mom did, lol!

And then I reached the point where all this started making me mad, mad at all the info put out by the so called "experts"! People have no clue what's really healthy and many people don't even care. And then they wonder why they are overweight, have cancer, diabetes, etc. Just the other day, there was something on the news about a man who had had a couple heart attacks. Of course he was severely overweight, but what was their solution? Not telling him to eat healthy, exercise and lose weight! They came up with a vest to wear, that would shock his heart when he has his next inevitable heart attack! Just another way to make money off of people's ignorance.

I see all these recipes posted online and I can't help but comment on them and try to open people's eyes a little. Just today, our local grocery store posted a recipe for a meal that had 48 grams of protein in it. I had to comment on it and say that was more than the daily recommended amount of protein in just one meal, leave out the chicken and just eat the rice and beans! I don't want to become one of those people who bashes everyone else, but I am sick of seeing people so sick and they have no clue why. It drives me crazy every time I hear them demonize health foods like beans, rice, potatoes, corn, etc. while they stuff their faces with disease causing foods and neglect the nutrients their bodies need! A rumor gets started, like starches are bad for you, and then it just spreads like wildfire, no matter how absurd it is.

Oh, and the other day on the radio, I heard that the McDonald's in Japan is now selling CHOCOLATE COVERED FRENCH FRIES!!! :o (Which btw, sounds delicious, but that's beside the point). I mean, come on! It's bad enough that we have spread our disease to formerly healthy countries, but really? I hope that atrocity never makes it over here because we are bad enough without it. Of course, here in TX, everything is either fried or covered in chocolate, so I'm probably fighting a losing battle with the people here.

Then again, I remember when I first started looking at the vegan meals Anna ate, and I thought she was crazy! Now, she's my hero! So, I guess this type of awakening is a process and I'm definitely not perfect, just trying to do my best to repair some of the damage I've done over the years. And I do think people are slowly starting to wake up. I notice my store is starting to offer more healthy things and I think it's to meet the demand of people becoming more health conscious. And I am glad the WHO and other agencies are starting to get the word out about eating more veggies and less meat. So, I think a shift is happening. The overabundance of ignorance is still upsetting, though, so I can't help but annoy people with my health comments and I hate that about myself.

Post subject: Re: I'm becoming one of "those" people!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:43 pm 

You're so sweet, Lisa! I AM crazy, but the proof isn't in my recipes : )

Just want to be very clear here about my lack of virtue - I enjoy junk food and eat WAYYY too much of it (especially lately here) but I try to focus on the healthy stuff as much as I can, so that cooking that way is easiest - especially during Lent, Advent, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:19 am 

I think I may have been one of the first 'health food nuts', back in college. My dad said I ate rabbit food (salads, raw veg and fruit). I eventually turned my meat and potato eating dh into a vegan. Heart disease runs in his family. His dad miraculously survived a massive heart attack at 50. His doc said he should have died, but lived another 28 years serving the Lord. Two of his sisters have had heart surgery and dh used to have a-fib attacks.

I notice everyone my age is suffering from arthritis, bad knees, weight issues and all are on medication. I dont take any meds. I can still touch my toes. Its a big deal when you are in your mid-50's :lol:

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:09 pm 

Lisa - "a meal that had 48 grams of protein in it. I had to comment on it and say that was more than the daily recommended amount of protein in just one meal,"

I've been looking at different sites that talk about how much protein we need. I've not seen any as low as 48g? The lowest I've seen is 58 for a 125# woman.

I think I am amazingly healthy for the food I've eaten all my life. Now that I am SIXTY I am really making an effort to nourish it rather than just satisfy my cravings for salt and fatty foods. It's pretty satisfying and I think it will be interesting to see what that first burger (or whatever) taste like after eating good grains and veggies.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:20 pm 

You mean you plan to *revert*?! :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:01 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
You mean you plan to *revert*?! :shock:

I have no plans to "revert". But, I don't think I'll live the rest of my life without eating a burger again. It's a slippery road. I want to do a "streak". It's been 24 days of vegan with no (conscious) cheating at all. I did find out today that those blue chocolate balls I like have milk in them. sigh

I'm not big on meat anyway so a burger won't throw me off, I don't think. But, dh is a carnivore. I'd probably not eat one in front of him. MILK is what I want. If I'm going to fall off the vegan wagon it will probably be to guzzle a glass of milk.

We talked about it today. Originally I asked for a month of vegan. We're doing so well on it that he said he's not even tho't of going off of it. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:21 pm 

I'm glad it's working so well for you! I'm not vegan, just vegetarian, and a "seasonal" vegan - altho I do think that the vegan diet is healthiest, and definitely understand the dairy thing. Especially milk chocolate. But meat? not for me - not in the last 20+ years now - it just doesn't interest me (happily) : )