It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:09 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Chestnut Soup!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:16 pm 

Today I am trying my hand at roasting chestnuts! The soup calls for 1# of chestnuts roasted with garlic. I have to peel the shell off while they're still hot so I won't be liking that. :? Then there's onion, carrot, celery, bay leaves, s&p and a pinch of nutmeg.

It will come down to whether we like chestnuts or not because the rest is yummy. :)

We had roasted chestnuts from a street vendor in Leavenworth, WA, a "Bavarian" tourist town, and we did NOT like them. But, since we've liked most everything else we've tried in this cookbook, I had to try it, right?

There are at least 2 more recipes I bo't the stuff for that I need to make so I was right that my "one week's shopping" would last a few more days! 8-)

Fajitas sound so good right now. :? I might have to do those for dinner. I think I have frozen strips of bell peppers and onions already. :)

Post subject: Re: Chestnut Soup!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:19 pm 

I think the Asian Grocery sells pre-peeled chestnuts in a package. If you find you love them, it might be worth researching : )

Is this still your Vegan Lunchbox book?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:51 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
I think the Asian Grocery sells pre-peeled chestnuts in a package. If you find you love them, it might be worth researching : )

Is this still your Vegan Lunchbox book?

Yep - still the Vegan Lunchbox book! I roasted them and as I peeled them I found they were nearly all moldy. :( I googled "moldy chestnuts" and found this:
http://cooking.stackexchange.com/questi ... tnuts-keep

Der! I had NO idea. I did taste one that was in good shape tho' and I'm wondering why we didn't like them? They're GOOD! Pre-peeled chestnuts? :D To go with my pre-peeled garlic! 8-) That would certainly make this soup less time-consuming.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:00 pm 

Yeah, I've gotten moldy chestnuts before, too! I think they're delicate, and grocers often store them incorrectly - much like avocados

Glad you like them! I used to love the roasted ones as a teen - haven't had them properly made for years now, tho.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:39 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
Yeah, I've gotten moldy chestnuts before, too! I think they're delicate, and grocers often store them incorrectly - much like avocados

Glad you like them! I used to love the roasted ones as a teen - haven't had them properly made for years now, tho.

Actually, I think maybe they were NOT stored correctly. They were not refrigerated, just in a bin. :?