It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:22 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Things I'm missing.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:31 pm 

Not much! Dh even mentioned that, this time around he's finding it very easy because of the variety of foods we've had. I only had one book last time and it was pretty monotonous - beans, rice, corn, tomatoes, corn tortillas - those seemed to be the base of nearly every recipe! Or weird things I'd never heard of like ... tempeh? We tried most of the stuff and I was surprised at the "Beef" Burgundy with seitan(?). Still don't know what seitan is but we were happy to eat it in that! We were so hungry for something besides beans and rice.

Oh, that was quite the sidetrack. Missing: milk, sour cream, and occasionally eggs. I've not missed butter NEARLY as much as I tho't I would but I miss milk a LOT.

Post subject: Re: Things I'm missing.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:39 pm 

Seitan (accent on the final syllable!) is also known as "wheat Meat" or "Gluten" - it is made from the gluten in wheat. There are LOTS of recipes to make your own out there! I recommend the sorts that start with gluten powder, not with flour (no, this one is not on my blog, as it's not one of my favorites. My "vegan barbecue" on my blog is similar, tho)

Tempeh is Indonesian - it is fermented, cultured soy. Rather reminiscent of Blue cheese - I find the concept a little too troubling to really enjoy it (even tho I like Blue Cheese - go figure!)

The longer you're off milk, the easier you'll find it. Milk has a natural morphine-like substance that keeps the calf near its Mommy and keeps us near the dairy if we're susceptible (see Barnard's book on the subject). But, of course, the substitutes DO help a lot if you find one you like : )

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:23 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
Seitan (accent on the final syllable!) is also known as "wheat Meat" or "Gluten" - it is made from the gluten in wheat. There are LOTS of recipes to make your own out there! I recommend the sorts that start with gluten powder, not with flour (no, this one is not on my blog, as it's not one of my favorites. My "vegan barbecue" on my blog is similar, tho)

Tempeh is Indonesian - it is fermented, cultured soy. Rather reminiscent of Blue cheese - I find the concept a little too troubling to really enjoy it (even tho I like Blue Cheese - go figure!)

The longer you're off milk, the easier you'll find it. Milk has a natural morphine-like substance that keeps the calf near its Mommy and keeps us near the dairy if we're susceptible (see Barnard's book on the subject). But, of course, the substitutes DO help a lot if you find one you like : )

Thanks for the "mystery meat" lesson! :lol: I wonder why tofu isn't used here? Could it be a substitute? Or veggie burger crumbles? While I don't like the fake meats, I am amenable to the pre-made veggie burgers. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:26 pm 

I went to the library but picked up Billy Graham's book "Nearing Home" rather than Barnard's book this time. I knew I couldn't get thru both in "library time". When I take this back I'll grab Barnard's. I'm pretty sure I read it before but need a refresher. I'm certainly finding I have a different outlook and understanding of veganism than before. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:39 pm 

WAYYY better choice of book! : )

As Francis Chan so wisely puts it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fmI2ar0RRE

This is the book i mean, when you find time for it : )
http://www.pcrm.org/shop/byNealBarnard/ ... -seduction
(not the diabetic one - which is also excellent)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:49 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
WAYYY better choice of book! : )

As Francis Chan so wisely puts it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fmI2ar0RRE

This is the book i mean, when you find time for it : )
http://www.pcrm.org/shop/byNealBarnard/ ... -seduction
(not the diabetic one - which is also excellent)

You're killin' me here! LOL So many things to read, learn, do!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:02 pm 

Have you checked your library to see if they do e-books? Ours does & we just "checked out' the first one without ever leaving home : ) It saves the hassle of "when will I return this" because they just expire when you're time's up : )

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:02 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
Have you checked your library to see if they do e-books? Ours does & we just "checked out' the first one without ever leaving home : ) It saves the hassle of "when will I return this" because they just expire when you're time's up : )

They do have e-books. I'm not good with them. But, I've obviously done some changing so maybe I should try again. I generally read in the bathtub. ;) I have many books stored on my puter and NEVER read them. Never even think about reading them. I forget they're there and I don't even know how to find them!!!!! :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:33 pm 

We LOVE Silk vanilla almond milk! I buy the light version, it tastes just as good as the regular, but has less sugar. I've been buying it for awhile and dh only just tasted it and he loves it, too. He's not much of a milk drinker, either. Only dd doesn't like it because because she's determined to not like anything but dairy milk.

I do still have a little dairy milk, but mostly just the almond milk. I'm weird, I like almond milk on my oatmeal, but prefer dairy milk on my cold cereal (which I don't have often).

I'm right there with you on the sour cream. Sour cream and ranch are my must haves. I tried a tofu sour cream and it was ok, but it didn't seem to last well in the fridge. I've just been "cheating" and using small amounts of dairy sour cream when I have something that calls for it. I do hope to find a non-dairy sour cream that I like, though. I've heard of a cauliflower one, so I might try that.

I don't really get bored with beans and rice, though. I could probably eat it every day, and do have some form of it almost daily. Dh made me a brown rice, veggie, lemon pepper concoction recently that was so delicious, I could eat it every day. He tried to tell me it was his secret recipe, but I found out it was lemon pepper. I don't know why I haven't been using that, but now I'm putting it on just about everything.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:15 pm 

Lemon Pepper Seasoning Salt is like MAGIC : )