It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:56 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Natural products
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:46 pm 

What are your favorite natural products for personal care (shampoo, deodorant, etc) and for household cleaners? I'm trying to use less chemicals.

Post subject: Re: Natural products
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:59 pm 

I don't use all-natural-everything, but for shampoo I like Nature's Gate - the price is reasonable, it's vegan/not tested on animals and it works well on my short, color treated hair AND on DD's Rapunzel-length fine hair (we use the Aloe & Macadamia one)

For household cleansers, I usually use the ones on my blog
http://stuffedveggies.blogspot.com/2014 ... -that.html
http://stuffedveggies.blogspot.com/2014 ... -that.html

For skin rashes, I find that witch hazel (which is herbal) works great.

For blood & some other stains, I have great results from Hydrogen Peroxide (I don't know how "natural" that is, but it seems better than a concoction of unidentified, heavily scented chemicals : )

For a facial scrub, I have great results from Baking Soda & water paste (don't scrub too hard!)

For Deodorant, I like chemicals - specifically "Soft & Dry" : ) I've tried a huge number of natural ones and they all *seem* to work till I'm traveling & outdoors in hot weather.

That's all I can think of right off : )

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:17 am 

I use baking soda to "scrub" stuff off in the kitchen. Vinegar and water is supposed to be "THE" best all-purpose cleaner but I haven't gotten myself to go there yet. Dh and I were cleaning behind the stove and fridge yesterday and the chemicals in the cleaner were so bad that I'm still coughing today. Definitely something I need to think about. :(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:54 am 

My mom grew up on a farm and always said hot water will clean almost anything. I pour hot water on my stove top to soften and clean up cooking spills (from my tea kettle). I use hot water to mop the floor with a squirt of Dr. Bronner's liguid Castile soap (I love the lavender). That has worked like nothing else on our linoleum. I have switched from the no-poo baking soda paste for hair to Dr. Bronner's bar soap, peppermint. Found that it lasts a long time. My oldest dd likes the eucalyptus one. Dh likes the liquid in a scrubbie in the shower and to wash his hair. I buy it by the qt but it comes in gallons, too, I think.

Anne is right about the witch hazel, my dad recommended it, too. It makes a great facial toner, tightens pores but not drying. I found a generic at wallymart for under $2 for 16oz.

Spray bathroom cleaner for soap scum and disinfecting by Comet, sole active ingredient is citric acid. It works and I can tolerate it somewhat. Vinegar for glass.

I have used those deodorant stones but stopped using them when we became mostly vegan. I found I don't need deodorant except if we have been eating meat. Then I use Mitchum roll on, a little on my fingers will do.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:18 am 

Thank you, I will look into all these things!