It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:28 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Ranch?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:22 am 

I pm'd you with the recipe (to avoid violating her copyright on a large scale : )

I had trouble loading the page, too - I'm not sure why - perhaps so many big pictures?

I think I've mentioned before that I have a strong personal aversion to Mayo. That's why I don't like ranch. I used to like it, then it got to seem chemically to me.

Her Ranch uses mayo - sadly - which while "authentic" doesn't appeal to me personally.

Also, making your own dressing with a store bought mayo can be more expensive than just buying a dressing : ( I seem to recall that some years ago most of the vegan mayos were around $5 (when I worked in the healthfood store)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:32 am 

Doesn't she use vegan mayo? Also, I think she mentions a substitute for the mayo. I was going to use that, as my store doesn't sell vegan mayo. It does seem a little pricy, but I assume any vegan ranch would be.

Last edited by LisaTX on Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:33 am 

Yes - she does : ) And, it is (or at least used to be) super expensive.

It's no problem for those folks who love Mayo - I'm just not personally a mayo fan :|

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:19 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
Yes - she does : ) And, it is (or at least used to be) super expensive.

It's no problem for those folks who love Mayo - I'm just not personally a mayo fan :|

We have always been HUGE fans of mayo! :oops: My mom even makes grilled cheese with mayo in place of the butter. I like coleslaw with mayo, sandwiches with mayo, picnic eggs with mayo, potato salad with mayo, and RANCH! I could drink the stuff.

However, we had been cutting down on the mayo for a few months before we started this way of eating. I think it's helped the transition. Dh is fine with a different dressing like Italian and I see there are other "accidentally" vegan salad dressings like Catalina and several others. I wish I could do the sour tastes but I can't any more so I might just roll my "salad" up in a tortilla with some beans. 8-)

I made a tomato sauce yesterday that had 2c of kale in it! It's a marinara (have I mentioned it already?) and we really liked it. Seriously love this Vegan Lunch Box book! :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:24 pm 

That's a great recommendation for the Vegan Lunch Box! : )

If you LOVE Mayo, it would be worth your trouble to research how to make your own vegan version that you like. There are lots out there. The problem is, they often have a much shorter life because of lack of preservatives. But, if they'd make it easier & more economical to be vegan, it would be well worth the trouble : )

(as for the online recipe, her sub is for the also-expensive vegan yogurt, not for the mayo)

I'm contemplating making the cashew based one from the link I shared - If I do, I'll let you know how it goes : )

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:43 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:

If you LOVE Mayo, it would be worth your trouble to research how to make your own vegan version that you like. There are lots out there. The problem is, they often have a much shorter life because of lack of preservatives. But, if they'd make it easier & more economical to be vegan, it would be well worth the trouble : )

(as for the online recipe, her sub is for the also-expensive vegan yogurt, not for the mayo)

I'm contemplating making the cashew based one from the link I shared - If I do, I'll let you know how it goes : )

You're right. Anything to help. So far we're fine without it except we've not had salads and dh is missing them. If we can live without mayo (of any kind), that would be preferred. Just like I'm not going to start chugging soy milk, I'd rather not have the fat of any mayo. (Or the hassle of making ANOTHER thing from scratch. It's that lazy gene.)

Oh, right, I saw the words "sour cream" and skipped past the "yogurt" part. Oops

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:18 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:

She says you can sub cashews for the yogurt, so I was thinking of trying cashews, vegan sour cream (tofu and lemon juice), and non dairy milk. That's a lot of sub-ing and maybe that's why I haven't tried it yet. I'm afraid it won't work. I've been meaning to see if there are any other vegan ranch recipes out there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:20 pm 

That just might work, Lisa!

You'll have to let us know if you do try it : )

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:01 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
That just might work, Lisa!

You'll have to let us know if you do try it : )

I guess I missed the link you posted and just checked it. That looks better than the one I posted, so maybe I will try that first. No vegan mayo or yogurt to sub for!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:24 pm 

How could you POSSIBLY miss MY link? (in that HUGE mountain of chit-chat!) ;)

I just made it (with a couple of variations) - it's in the fridge chilling to blend the flavors even as we speak, um type.

It seems VERY promising so far - I DO think most folks wouldn't know it wasn't dairy if you didn't tell them. I won't know till it's chilled how "hidden valley like" it is, but I'm hopeful : )

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next